Customer reviews

on 9 November 2013
Firstly, if you see my other reviews, you'll find I'm not a 'harsh marker' but the purpose of me offering up reviews to Amazon is to help potential purchasers with their buying decisions - so if I find something that needs highlighting, and feel it needs a low star grade, I think it a duty to pass that on,
So, that said, If you are looking for a book on how to craft a plot, this isn't it - but if you are after a very basic overview of plotting (the 4 c's), and of one type of plot (Hero's Journey) this would fill the bill, but even then this is a quite skimpy exposition of those plotting mechanisms.
Very basic plotting guidance is given, but this is far from what a budding author will need to learn the craft of putting together a 'grippy' plot.
It is, in fact, a 15 page excerpt from Module 1 of Nicks writing course, (there is even a part left in it where you are told that area will be covered in module 3).
Am I against short Kindle books? Far from it - check out my review of Kristen Ecksteins book elsewhere, which is a 48 page roadmap of how to lay out a book - it's short, punchy and a working template for a budding author to work with, which is what this book/short report could have been - or check out the 70 page Rock Your Plot by Cathy Yardley, which costs slightly more but provides exponentially more advice.

Sorry to give it only two stars, but even though it costs what it costs, it's still very very light on useable content.
I hope this helped.
on 17 July 2013
The one thing every writer gets asked is how did you come up with that story? This book gives you three easy to follow methods to take an idea and turn it into a great story.

The book is well written and a quick read. It gets straight to the point of each method and explains it in a way that you can easily follow. It includes examples to further illustrate the point.

I had come across the second method before but the clear breakdown in this book makes it much more easy to use and adapt. I guess I use the first method, but in a much less structured way, but the third method is really genius. It is so simple and also something that successful writers have been doing, even if subconsciously.

If you are looking for ways to plot your next novel or are stuck with one you are writing I highly recommend this book.
on 4 August 2013
I have been an aspiring writer for many years and have had a few articles and short stories published. However I have been afflicted by writers block for some time. Writing is not easy!
This is a very short article rather than a book. As the author says it is taken, in part, from his CD, "how to write a novel in 28 days"' which I also have.
For new writers any information is helpful....and although this short book does not even mention other important aspects such as characters, dialogue etc.....it concentrates on the basics.....lets have a plot to start with aspect.
Yes, there are some good tips here.
on 29 July 2013
Nick Daws serves up a quick, crisp, dynamic guide to story-lining that will transform your work whether you're a novice or a narrative know-it-all. Easy-to-follow techniques, well explained, show how to introduce a plethora of exciting twists, turns and surprises that guarantee your plot will grip the reader from the outset and keep them riveted. Highly recommended.
on 21 July 2013
This is a great short report giving the insight to plotting your next novel or screenplay. It was a great reminder and a useful tool to have with you if you feel your story has lost it's way. Never be stuck for ideas for your next story again.
on 25 November 2015
Disclosure - I received a free copy of this book through the author’s website.

A long title for a short book that gets straight to the point. The author explains three tried and tested methods of creating a coherent plot from separate story elements, illustrating each with well-known examples.
A useful guide for new writers who have a great idea for a novel or screenplay but need help to expand and shape it into a complete story, and also a handy reminder for experienced writers who may have forgotten some of the basics.
on 2 August 2013
This work has a lot of useful information in it and, as usual, Nick Daws knows how to put it across in an easy to read manner.
on 10 May 2014
Nick Daws makes it seem so easy. He provides examples and suggestions which are easily followed without incurring any huge expense and writes in a common sense tone without being condescending. This quick read can be tapped into again and again for reference to classic notions such as The Hero's Journey and the Four Cs to make sure any novel or screenplay you write contains the elements essential for a satisfying read.
on 4 July 2013
Nick's report certainly gives food for thought. As a fun writer (rank amateur who feels compelled to write and gets fun out of the process but little else), I am at a point where I feel the need to polish up my act. Having read this report I now have an urgent need to trawl through all those stories which are at the "stuck" stage to see if I can introduce a mentor or conflict to resurrect them. I shall definitely keep this report in my Kindle reference library and dip into from time to time.
on 21 October 2013
When I downloaded this short report, I have to admit I wasn't expecting much. And with only 15 pages I was able to read it through in minutes. So I was wondering just how useful the information could be?

How useful was it?

It was 15 pages of novel plotting brilliance.

Honestly, if you use the information in the short report about plotting a novel using the 4 Cs and the Hero's Quest outline, I'm betting you can come up with more fiction and screen play ideas than you'll ever have time to write.

I have been umming and ahhing about writing my next novel for years now, but I've been putting it off because I wasn't entirely sure how the plot would flow, what precise things would happen along the way, or what characters to use to drive the story along. My story idea is a great one but I just wasn't sure how to turn it into a complete novel.

But now after reading this report, I've got a detailed outline with all the necessary characters and story lines that I need.

And if you don't already have an idea for a novel, this report also tells you how to find all the story ideas you want for only 50 cents each. Another stroke of genius in MH (yet always accurate) O.

I've been a full time writer for years now and I thought I knew most things about writing. That's why this guide surprised me at how clever and useful it is.

Sometimes writers expand what they want to say by filling it with useless "fluff" just to make their ebook look more useful than it is. But not this time. This little report is concise and gets right to the point and by the time you finish reading it, if you haven't got at least one idea for a novel, then you really weren't paying attention and you need to read it again.

I loved it.

This is one guide to writing fiction that I'm going to use over and over again.