Machines of Loving Grace. 3 hours.
Part 1. Love and Power. The influence of Ayn Rand's "Objectivist" ideas on American financial markets.
Part. 2. The Use and Abuse of Vegetational Concepts. Machine ideas such as self-stabilising feedback loops were applied to nature and society, leaving people helpless in the face of those already in power in the world.
Part 3. The Monkey in the Machine and the Machine in the Monkey. Darwinism and the selfish gene theory intertwined with the tragic history of post-colonial Africa.
Pandora's Box: A fable from the age of science. 2 discs, 4.5 hours
Blind faith in science went wrong as leaders strove to create a better world based on technology, but ran aground on emotion, greed and politics.
1. The Engineer's Plot - grotesque failure of scientific socialism in the USSR.
2. To the Brink of Eternity - systems analysis gone mad under the Dr. Strangeloves in the Pentagon.
3. The League of Gentlemen - monetarist theory cloaks Thatcher's destruction of the economy.
4. Goodbye Mrs Ant - DDT and Darwin were misused to destroy the environment.
5. Black Power - Nkrumah's dream of hydropower shattered by corruption.
6. A is For Atom - Reactor sales were put ahead of safety, setting the scene for catastrophe.
The Mayfair Set. 3 hours.
Four stories about the rise of business and the decline of political power. Highlights the way money men took over the levers of power in recent decades. Two-party democracy becomes a corrupt sham. Politicians give lip service to "market forces" while they enrich themselves helping a clique of mercenaries, asset strippers, junk bond gangsters, and global speculators destroy the nation's economic base.
More detail on page for individual DVD and on Wikipedia.
VIDEO QUALITY ADVISORY: Adam Curtis films are available only in versions recorded from broadcast. Video quality will not be equal to a digital production DVD.