- Also check our best rated Biography reviews
Thomas Tomkins: The Last Elizabethan Hardcover – 28 May 2005
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
'... (Steven's) survey of so large a repertoire in so short a space (70 pages) is brilliant.' Early Music Review 'The first part of this book provides an absorbing biography of Tomkins, setting his life into fascinating historical context. The second and third parts include major essays on Tomkins by Denis Stevens, Bernard Rose, Peter James and David Evans. The result is a successful piece of collective work that properly places Tomkins and his achievements in his time and enables readers to reassess him properly in relation to his elders and contemporaries.' British Music Society '... magnificiently research... a beautifully produced and sympathetic book, chock-full of fascinating material, shrewd analysis, and intriguing surmise. The layout is superb, with beautifully reproduced illustrations. Heartily recommended.' Church Times '... fascinating biography... Boden's history alone makes a very good read... The period of tomkins' life covers the most turbulent era in English history which serves as a dramatic background to a mere story of one musician's life. Boden tells the tale with some excitement and drama.' The Delian 'All in all, [...] devotees of Tomkins have been well served by Anthony Boden's book, and he is to be congratulated for his determination and industry as author, editor and compiler' Early Music '... the first new full-length biography of the composer in almost half a century...Using an impressive range of archival documents and early modern publications in a wide range of fields, Boden establishes Tomkins as a member of the growing and increasingly respectable class of educated artisans during the golden age of English literature and drama, and provides a fascinating glimpse into late sixteenth- and early seventeenth-century English choral establishments of the sort in which he, his father, and three half-brothers spent their lives...this is a very useful and engaging book for scholars of early modern England and for general readers with an interest in its music.' Renaissance Quarterly
About the Author
Anthony Boden, with Denis Stevens, David R.A. Evans, Peter James and Bernard Rose Anthony Boden: Denis Stevens, Bernard Rose, Peter James, David R.A. Evans.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Film, Television & Music > Music > Classical Music
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Music > Composers & Musicians
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Music > Scores, Songbooks & Lyrics > Classical Music
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Music > Styles > Classical Music > Biographies
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Music > Styles > Classical Music > Orchestral
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Music > Styles > Classical Music > Scores, Songbooks & Lyrics