Format: DVD|Change

It's always awful when a classic kids TV show moves to CGI, But I have to say Thomas and Friends have done it really well. The last series (11) was still the old classic Thomas, this series (12) is only half CGI and it's the next series (13) when they move fully CGI.

What I mean by half CGI is, in this series all the faces on the engines are CGI along with with all the people too. While all the physical models are still used tho so that's nice.

Thomas & Friends Series 12

Episode 18 – Percy and the Bandstand, 24 September 2008
Episode 19 – Push Me, Pull You, 25 September 2008
Episode 20 – Best Friends, 26 September 2008
on 8 January 2016
The first major change in the Thomas series. Now me and my daughter do like the classic model Thomas and we do like the animated Thomas. This provided a perfect mediation of the two. I know this was used as transition series to welcome in the animated show, but after watching this I strongly feel the show would have suited being left like this. With the unique appeal of the model trains mixed with the modernisation of the out dated clay faces and individual voices this would have been brilliant.
Saying this however I get that profits need to be made from the series and its easier and cheaper to just make the show animated like every other kids show, plus being animated has the advantage of easily churning out new characters each series for merchandise purposes. These niggles aside though this series is a one off reminder at would could have been. And a very good one at that.
on 15 May 2011
As ever, the complete series releases of Thomas are great value. Series 12 is a nice mixture of old-fashioned live action model trains, mixed with some computer animation (trains' faces, for example) and - most importantly - this is the last series where the regular narrator supplied all the voices. So grown-up fans of the 'old' Thomas will still have plenty to enjoy. Personally, I don't plan to buy any later Thomas on DVD, but with 12 series to fall back on, our family certainly has plenty to choose from.
My toddler's favourite in Series 12 is "Tram Trouble" where we meet Flora the steam tram.

These complete series DVDs do have 2 small drawbacks:
1/ if you don't want to push "play all" and subject your child to a whole lot of TV in one hit, then you have to trawl through slightly annoying, slow menus to find the episode you want.
2/ for the technology-conscious adult viewer, the bit rate (ie. picture quality) is fairly low because a lot has been squeezed onto a single DVD. This makes the picture a little grainy if viewed on a larger TV. (The bit-rate is generally a little higher on the Thomas highlights discs, which contain just a few episodes, but they are not such good value for money.) Do the kids notice this? - absolutely not.
on 3 August 2013
Another great Thomas dvd that will provide hours of entertainment for children of all ages (including parents). Been watching Thomas The Tank for years and will never tire of watching them for all the next generations in the family.
Be aware of pricing!!
on 16 July 2012
When I was a child I watched Thomas the tank and I loved it so I thought when I was I am having a little boy I know what to get. I have watched a couple of the DVD's already. The quality of the production is very good. I just got to wait for my little boy now to get old enough to watch them.(he might have to be supervised by me watching them with him just to be sure of a proper review lol)
on 29 July 2013
Watched every episode 6/7 times, sad I hear you say but when your 2 year old grandson is staying with you and he is up at 6;30 and he loves Thomas and friends, this keeps him happy until the rest of the house wakes up
on 5 January 2013
Great fun for my little boy of 18 months who will no doubt continue loving it for the next few years. Great theme tune, well voiced by Michael Angelis, lovely stories that are well paced for little one (and Dad). Good value at under a fiver too.
on 13 September 2013
We bought this DVD while our son was going through his Thomas addiction primarily to give us more variety on the episodes of Thomas we would have to watch with him. However, you (and your child) are either going to like the early Thomas & Friends (where all the characters are done by one narrator and the figures plus the faces of the engines are fixed) or you (and your child) are going to like the later Thomas & Friends cartoons where everything is animated (and the trains all have different voices). Series 12 is neither one nor the other - it has the original model trains but with animated faces (and characters). Not matter what you think are the 'better' Thomas series (old or new, it takes different strokes etc.) this series is going to disappoint you. The stories are also pretty poor. Not our best investment ever, but there you go.
on 16 October 2012
My two year old Grandson already loves Thomas and this DVD with some three hours of programmes gives excellent value.
We're only part way through, but it's already giving great enjoyment to both Grandson & Grandad!
If a little one in your home likes Thomas, I can fully recommend this DVD.
on 13 December 2013
This was a present for a child in my class.. ( who is thomas mad).. It arrived in EXCELLENT timing ... within 3 days of ordering which was fantastic ... It was in great condition ... Over all really happy with this product and it gets 5 stars from me and I would recommend it to ANYONE ... (who enjoys thomas the tank engine of corse)