Customer reviews

on 30 September 2012
Leslie Thomas' first book, his autobiography about growing up as a Barnardos boy during and after WW2. Hilarity and sadness, an excellent book written in an excellent style. Was once a set O-level text, but I first met it in the early 1970s when my sister bought it and I've re-read it six or seven times in the intervening years. See also his 'second' autobiography written in the 1980s - 'In My Wildest Dreams', which covers the same period in more depth and perception but then continues with his National Service time and his reporter/writer life after that. Just as good, and well worth having both.
on 16 April 2014
Another great tale of his early days. Well written and an interesting glimpse at orphanage life in that time period.
on 13 October 2016
The condition wasn't up to the description. I would only give it a C rating. The book was X library but this was not stated and it was covered in a sticky grime, which I had to clean before I could attempt to read it!
on 30 January 2013
I bought this as a present for my sister, who had read it years ago and loved it then. She still loves it since reading it again.
on 13 September 2011
Very touching story. True to the 1950's that I remember, and recalling the racial prejudice of that post war era.
on 13 May 2016
One of my most favorite books i laughed and cried while reading this.
on 6 August 2014
brought back memories as i read this book many years ago. Thank you!!
on 23 December 2014
print too small - writer good but can't read it!
on 16 October 2014
Prompt receipt. Book as advertised.
on 29 January 2015
a little tatty but good reading