Customer reviews

on 4 February 2014
People may mention how many boxes of tissues they go through while reading this book, how they cried and cried and felt overwhelmed by the story of Esther Grace Earl. But that's only one way to go through this book. I went through it smiling. Smiling and laughing and, yes, even feeling ridiculously happy because Esther has finally been able to share her story with me and I am so grateful and so glad that she has been able to do that.
In the book John Green says to Esther, "I feel very lucky to know you - and as far as I have seen , to know you is literally to love you." And reading this book not only helps you get to know Esther, but it forms a bond with her, and to be honest you might as well call it love because it's so strong.
I am 16, the same age Esther was when she died and I love reading fantasy books, sci-fi, adventure etc. but really sometimes it's the books about real people that are wonderful, emotional, and simply beautiful that impact us so much. I am so glad Esther got her wish to be an author. I am honoured to be a part of it.
Esther means star. This star won't go out.
21 people found this helpful
on 9 January 2015
This book arrived very quickly and well packaged. The book itself was amazing. I could hardly put it down. The author wrote about Esther so beautifully and with honesty as well as compassion. It was very hard to read the end as I was in tears - not good when trying to see anything - especially words!! And all the photo's were wonderful. They allowed a further insight into this wonderful girl and her family that you wouldn't get just from reading the book. Esther was a young girl to be admired and to have her story told. She was probably just like many other young people who suffer from cancer without making a fuss about it. We older citizens could take a few leaves out of their books when faced with such awful health conditions. This was a wonderful book and I would recommend it to everyone.
on 16 August 2014
By far the most powerful book I've ever read! Equal parts inspiring and heart-breaking. To hear Esther's story through her own words, and those closest to her, felt like a privilege. The world is worse off for no longer having her in it, but she has left her mark and continues to inspire!
on 15 February 2014
Stunning, heartbreaking, funny, sweet, silly, loving, beautiful........... Just a few words describe this book, I've just finished reading it and my emotions are all over the place, I just wish Esther was still with us and that I could know her!! She was one awesome inspirational girl and I may not have known her IRL but I feel in a way that I do know her. I love you Esther......This Star will defiantly NEVER go out!!!
on 14 August 2014
Amazing book written by the late author who was diagnosed with cancer. Heart moving and brilliant such an eye opener .
on 18 December 2015
Great story, have read it many times. Thankyou
on 13 July 2014
Saw the parents interviewed on TV and was very moved by their dignity and grace. My daughter saw the film and although I bought the book for myself, she'll be reading it first!
on 1 January 2015
I took a lot from this book as I also suffer with a severe chronic illness. It's given me back some much needed positivity. Esther was positive and a star even in difficult times and her writing was way beyond her 16 years.
on 16 August 2014
Inspirational, what a wonderful family.
on 16 September 2014