Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 July 2017
Started so well then lost its way badly ...almost like written by two people and the second just didn't make the grade, disappointed as had high hopes for this .
on 8 October 2012
That was my worry, if I'm honest - like the Twi-hard copyists, there does seem to be a glut of zombie fiction out there at the moment. I'm not complaining and if it's selling, good for them; whatever rubs your Buddha. And I'm not ruining the book for you by telling you this: there's zombies in it it - lots and lots of zombies.

What I liked about John's second book was that everything changes when the zombies arrive and yet, everything stays the same. Humans don't change over night into a bunch of plucky Brits battling the Hun during the Blitz (and frankly, there were bad apples during the war, too) and helping each other survive. Okay, there will be some, but there'll be the opportunists and exploiters who ooze out of the woodwork at the slightest provocation, working out the angles and the best way to make themselves kings amongst the debris of the former world.

I digress. Jacob's second book centres around a young boy named Gus and his mother, Lucy, who's a doctor. Gus is some kind of prodigy, with a brain seemingly uniquely adapted to coming up with ways to stay alive in a world where most of the population has turned into zombies. I'm also not giving away anything by saying he comes up with a unique idea for how to live without getting your brainz eaten by a zombie: build your new colony on a bridge. Or on the end of one. Seems like a good solution and John makes it work for him.

I enjoyed this book, in much the same way I enjoyed his last, Southern Gods - if you haven't read it, go buy it now - I took it on holiday and devoured it in a very short time. I like his characters and the way he develops them through the events happening in the book. It's a subtle alchemy which I would love to emulate in my own work.

Go on, stuck for something to read? Like well-written alternative fiction? Go buy his book now.
on 31 January 2015
Presumably all the other reviewers have covered the fact that each chapter is written from a different character's viewpoint. Great. A fantastic by-product of this is getting glimpses of their development as the story goes on.

Yes it's a bit bleak, very violent, hilarious in places and probably a bit too close to the bone in some respects....if it ever does make it into a live-action film it'll be worth a watch.
on 30 March 2013
As a fan of Post-Apocalyptic based novels, I have read some winners and some losers. This Dark Earth finds itself in the winners paddock as far as I am concerned. A quick paced novel with some interesting concepts in the genre, I couldn't put it down. My only mild gripe is that it reads like it should have been longer. It has the feel of a sprawling epic, without the sprawling epicness. I was left more than once with that feeling of "I'd like to know more about that'. However, it reads like the start of a series, and I sincerely hope it is! More please Mr Jacobs.
on 30 April 2015
This is the first time I have bought second-hand but the book was barely used so delighted with the quality - even the spine was hardly cracked. Superb value. Finished the book in a day or two and Jacobs' writing style zips along - after reading The Incorruptibles I wanted to check his other work and this didn't disappoint. Great service and a tight zombie story that could easily have been the start of a broader story.