on 14 May 2010
Bought for my 9 yr old, this book is as great as the previous 2 in the series. My daughter is a confident reader in her own right, but still enjoys sharing a book at bedtime. Both her and her dad have enjoyed this series greatly.
While I would encourage anyone who has not read the previous 2 books to go back and read those first, it is not strictly essential. While I am sure she would have enjoyed reading this on her own, it is one of those books that work incredibly well out loud and shared.

This book is full of adventure, mystery and fun. As the blurb on the back gives such a wonderful flavour of the tone of these books, I will type it out for your enjoyment: " Health Warning: Do NOT OPEN THIS BOOK... Take one sniff of its contents and you will be hooked by an irresistible desire to taste the adventure within. And the ingredients of this adventure are decidedly deadly, including as they do: A cursed Aztec artefact, An evil and deranged chef, a secret jungle lair inhabited by cocoa-crazed monkey and the most dangerous chocolate ever created.. I beg you, step away from this deliciously dark mystery, before the secrets within overpower you."

A real page turner, full of fun, adventure, crazy ideas and brilliantly colourful characters, I can see this being perfect for children aged 8 - 12 yrs approx. Thoroughly recommended by both my daughter, my husband reading it and I admit I find myself straining to listen in from my office, stifling the odd laugh at particularly silly parts.
on 26 February 2010
hi, having read the other two books(if you want to know the first book is: the name of this book is secret, and this is the third)i think they are brill. so i got the third and wow! this book is incredible and takes you a sterp further into cass's life. the story line is great but i have only one wish: more about the midnight sun. this villan mainly in the book is seno'r hugo. the good thing with the book is that it end's with a brill cliff hanger
on 15 September 2014
When you read this book make sure you have some chocolate with you. This is a scrumptious book with very accurate details of chocolate making from the forest through cappucin monkey's gut and industry. Very enjoyable series.
on 17 September 2012
When I purchased the book, I was unaware that it was aimed at children but continued reading it anyway. As a fan of HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy the added annotations did not annoy me too much and I think that young teenagers would enjoy the plot and the book. Certainly, I learned some astonishing information about chocolate and the appendix at the end of the book was fascinating. It may have been helpful if a suitability guide or recommended age range had been indicated
on 7 December 2015
This is the third in a series and a really quick read, mostly aimed for kids about 9-12. But I still enjoyed reading it myself because it’s something light, playful and a pretty good mystery/detective story as well.

This one continues to follow the story of Cassandra, Yo-Yoji and Max-Ernest. I won’t tell you much, seeing as the content of this book is highly secret (^^) but I will say it has something to do with a cursed Aztec artifact, an evil and deranged chef, a secret lair of cocoa-crazed monkeys and the most dangerous chocolate ever created.

What I love about this book is how it’s fun, but you’re still learning from it. With the help of footnotes you can learn a lot of new, general knowledge as well as get more from the story. I'm personally a fan of most books which use footnotes. Also, we get the author talking to us as people in the book occasionally, as well as ‘invisible’ chapters and other creative bits like this. Which always makes a book more enjoyable. Besides, this book is about chocolate! How can that ever go wrong?

I don’t really have much more to say about this. Max-Ernest has some strange things going on between his divorced parents that involves an argument over gluten-free spaghetti, Cassandra is busy trying to find her biological parents and trying to identify who she is and arguing with her adoptive mother, and Yo-Yoji is just hoping to get back to being close friends with Max-Ernest and Cassandra after his secret was revealed.As you can see, a lot of different themes are also crossed here.

This review and more can be found on Olivia's Catastrophe: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2015/12/mini-reviews-two-middle-grade-favourites.html
Gold Star Award Winner!

Cass, Max-Ernest, and Yo-Yogi are in the middle of another mystery.

Señor Hugo, great chocolate experimenter, Dr. L, and Ms. Mauvais are holding Cass' mom captive. The ransom: the legendary Tuning Fork, an instrument that can turn any food or drink into whatever the owner wishes.

Now, Cass and her friends will have to battle deadly sweets, crazy puzzles, and other sinister things in order to defeat Hugo and get her mother back. Where is the great Tuning Fork? Can Cass and her friends stop Hugo from achieving his evil desires?

A fun, action-packed adventure for reluctant readers, the puzzles are especially fun to solve. The humorous chocolate facts and puns are entertaining. The characters are well-developed, and the plot is fun and uniquely crafted. Those who like action, adventure, and mystery stories will truly enjoy reading THIS BOOK IS NOT GOOD FOR YOU.

Reviewed by: Kira M
on 26 May 2013
I love this book because it is simply about chocolates. It's the best book in the series. Anyone who loves chocolate should absolutely read this book. That is why I have rated this five stars. Now I want to read the next one.
on 14 March 2012
This book was purchased at the request of my 12-year old grandson who was holidaying with us during the recent half-term, as he had read the other 2 books in the series. He was highly delighted with it.
My eleven and eight year olds read this. They are genuinely so intrigued by the whole series. I would definitely recommend buying the series, especially if you have a child who isn't keen on reading or would rather watch TV.
on 10 April 2013
Arrived quickly, book brand new, very well packaged. Engaging text, and very inexpensive compared to retail prices in our country. I bought four of these books in the series, at one go, for my nieces.