Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 31 October 2013
17 year old Oliver is babysitting Eleanor and Cameron Sexton's daughter Lara while they go out for their monthly meal treat. On returning, their front door is open, Oliver is missing yet Lara is upstairs asleep. Oliver has not gone home. He has two close friends and no girlfriend. No one has seen him. DS Jessica Daniel is alerted to make enquiries. She is suspicious of Oliver's disappearance but has nothing to go on until a journalist informs Jessica that Oliver's obituary had been published in his newspaper 2 days ago. Kayleigh Pritchard works in a supermarket. On returning home from work she finds someone has broken into her house but nothing appears to have been taken. What she discovers is another matter that sets off a chain of events that kick off the makings of a superb novel.

With her police colleagues, especially her friend DC Isobel(Izzy) Diamond, Jessica picks up a few pieces of information that seem to be more than coincidental. As they increase in number their ramifications and significance begin to form a larger and more extensive puzzle. Local 'businessmen' with a bent for serious crime enter the frame, particularly powerful club owner Nicholas Long, and the body count starts to increase. Jessica is in the middle of the action and plenty there is. The narrative fairly belts along at a pace with skilful detective work and some clever twists particularly during the final chapters with an ending that hits with all the surprise of a bolt from the blue; totally unexpected.

Kerry Wilkinson has written another gripping Jessica Daniel book full of suspense, criminal investigative flair and deduction. It is not without humour nor romance with red herrings introduced to throw the reader off the scent and keep the guesswork going. Another exciting and thoroughly enjoyable well-written novel.
on 1 November 2013
This is Kerry Wilkinson's sixth book in the Jessica Daniel series and it's as great as, if not better, than the preceding five books. Jessica has recovered from her house fire, is seemingly happily married to Adam and is thrown into a violent crime investigation where the suffocated victims appear to be linked to a local crime boss. Sadly, everything's not smooth sailing when it comes to Jessica, as Adam seems to be acting very secretive as the book progresses, making Jessica fear the worst in terms if her future with him; her friend Izzy returns from maternity leave and constantly questions Jessica on her well being; and Dave Rowlands has declared his love to her, leaving Jessica to deal with all manner of personal problems the only way she knows...hiding from them. There are several violent scenes that are not too graphic, police procedural work and criminal life is portrayed very believably and our favourite characters are there to keep the pages turning very quickly. This was an "edge of your seat" thriller that leaves you wanting more even after you reach the end. I found myself reading in odd places and at weird times of the day and night just to get my Jessica fix. I'm sad that this book only got published a week ago as there is no prospect of another book just yet.
on 30 October 2013
I have loved all of these books, but really feel that this is the best so far. Had to read it all in one day as I couldn't put it down. A few twists, especially at the end which keep you on your toes. Now, the long wait until the next one in January!!!
on 16 November 2013
Wow - just when you think you read the best Jessica Daniels ever.... Kerry Wilkinson publishes another!

I loved this just as much as the others - in fact probably more as I felt this storyline really helped delve more into Jessica Daniels mind set and relationships.

The storyline was great.... lots of twists and at the end I am always surprised! I love the way that Kerry Wilkinson sprinkles clues throughout the storyline so subtly that it is only at the end you think aha!

Cant wait till January for the next one!
on 28 October 2013
Another very enjoyable outing for Jessica Daniel. As usual it's left me wanting to read the next instalment. Also inspired me to order the paperback versions of the first few books as Christmas presents for others.
on 11 February 2016
First time I have read this author, having been seduced by the reviews. The book did not inspire any interest whatsoever in any of the characters, there was nothing gripping or intriguing about the story. Weak plot, cliched dialogue, poor descriptive narrative and uninteresting parallel events - lost sister, possible pregnancy, unrequited love, etc. etc. Yawn. Another reviewer has asked how old the author is - and I think this is the thing - it is written in an adolescent way, both in terms of plot and the way the story is told. In fairness, I enjoy the writings of Reginald Hill, Philip Kerr, CJ Sansom to name a few - so maybe I set the bar too high for Kerry Wilkinson to ever reach. How this book has got so many positive reviews is beyond me. Not for me.
Another terrific DS Jessica Daniel book. Kerry Wilkinson just gets better and better. Following the disappearance of the Sexton's baby sitter Jessica is sent to investigate, but she feels she has been sent on a wild goose chase, as on the face of it appears that the sitter has just gone home early leaving the couple's small daughter alone. The mystery deepens when the body of the teenage baby sitter is found in a house on the other side of the city. In true Kerry Wilkinson fashion as the story develops Jessica finds herself in deep water and the reader is kept guessing whether she will come out of this experience unscathed. I found this book almost unputdownable - and scary at times. A great read.
on 8 November 2013
As I live in the Manchester area I'm sometimes irritated by Kerry's view of it- believe me it doesn't always rain and would like him to sometimes move more often outside the city centre. However I pre-ordered this as I've enjoyed all the series and the opening is particularly chilling. Jessica remains an excellent character with all her flaws, and she's now living with her boyfriend Adam though the complication in their relationship in this book seemed to me a bit thin. We meet many of the characters of the earlier series. This is in many ways a dour book about a dour world- sex trade in Manchester City Centre. Nonetheless there is always some humour, mainly from Jessica . Wilkinson says he thinks of here physically as another actress but to me she's very like the younger thin dark one in Scott and Bailey and shares her humour and her ability to get relationships badly wrong .
on 6 November 2015
found this author after buying a 99p kindle deal have now read up to current date
as I live in Manchester it is very interesting to read about the places I know and with great realistic characters.
very inventive plots. Great series although any book could a great stand alone.
I don't really like to do reviews but if I knew how I would link this to all Kerry Wilkinson books as I would recommend any of them
on 15 November 2013
I came across Jessica Daniels by accident an what a joy. My favourite used to be the first one, but this is just the best. Kerry's writing started great and just gets better.

I would suggest reading the books in order as there are references, but each book does stand alone if you like to pick and choose. The plot is believable and unless you cheat and skip to the end I don't think you can see the whodunit until very late in the day. The characters are well rounded and I really want to see what they get up to next.

Another book I needed to finish (avoiding all the things I should really get done) and is on the re-read list.

Can't wait for the next one.