on 12 October 2017
Very good just as i expected
on 7 September 2017
Book arrived in poor condition. Cheaply reproduced, wafer thin crumpled paper was annoying and left me feeling I had been overcharged. The back cover was also a bit battered. The content was well laid out and informative.
review imagereview imagereview image
on 4 October 2017
Extremely happy with this book
on 9 October 2000
I found this book very usefull.As a counselling student,it helped me to formulate questions and some probable answers as I near the end of my training and am struggling with the issue of Integrating theories. Would have liked Object Relations theories to have been given more space, instead of a few paragraphs lumped in with Analysis, but am aware that this book is revised each addition, some things removed some added. The conciseness of the text inevitebly requires some sacrifice. On the whole I found it a very fair minded book, an honest and successfull attempt to clarify the major therapies, in a very accessable way.
on 30 December 2009
A fantastic book for Trainee Counsellors/Therapists or anyone doing a Degree in Counselling Skills and Theraputic studies.

Easy to understand and very informative. Covers a very wide spectrum of Theories and Theorists.

Excellent Book, well worth reading.
on 7 September 2012
The book is written in understandable language, and is an easy read. It was reccomended reading for the next course that I have enrolled on so with reading up beforehand I feel confident that I will be refering back to it on a regular basis.
on 23 April 2015
A very readable and comprehensive introduction to theory and practice. Format is very helpful as is the example of how the fictional client "Stan " would be helped by the different schools .
on 2 March 2014
the book is good if you are wanting to cover a few styles of counselling, not so good if you are only studying one type like I am as most of the book will be unnecessary in this situation! My book was very badly put together too, with writing at an angle and paper glued together wrong, this was a one off I hope
on 12 June 2017
The 'Bible' for practicing psychologists and students
on 29 June 2011
I was on the last day of a three year Psychotherapy course when the tutor casually mentioned we should have this book because it compared different theoretical approaches to a hypothetical case.
I picked up a secondhand copy from here and within a few pages I realised I was reading an essential textbook that would have made my course a million times easier.
The uncomplicated language makes it simple to understand without ever being patronising.
It's a straight-forward, no-nonsense, look at the basic tenets of all of the major approaches with recommended reading for further study.
Absolutely fantastic !
As a student it would have been invaluable and even though I'm now qualified, it's still an excellent source of reference.