Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Customer Discussions > Assassin's Creed II (PC) forum

The most ridiculous DRM ever?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 68 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Jan 2010, 12:23:40 GMT
Mudface says:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/01/27/new-ubisoft-games-must-always-be-online/

Ubisoft must be geniuses. No doubt when this title tanks, they'll blame it on piracy (again) and think up some even stupider way to put off their potential customers.

Posted on 5 Feb 2010, 16:39:02 GMT
No one is going to want to play this since alot of the PC players access their internet through those "dongles" that you have to "top up/pay as you go". People don't want to be dictated they have to burn away their money online by playing a game they already paid for. I'm sorry, UBISOFT, but how DARE YOU dictate that people who buy your games also have to PLAY them a certain way. Updating and registering for something online is ONE thing (so they can verify you bought your copy), but being online permanently? Good job paying your staff to piss away their hard work with a game no one is going to buy :)

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2010, 17:13:29 GMT
Billybod says:
Too right mate. This is waaaaaaay over the line, i have cancelled my pre order.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Feb 2010, 20:52:34 GMT
Mudface says:
It's just as bad as feared; from Rock Paper Shotgun @ http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/02/17/you-maniacs/

We barely need to say anything here (but we will), as where we're going we don't need words. We only need righteous fury. PC Gamer have experienced the controversial new Ubisoft DRM first-hand, in the PC build of Assassin's Creed 2. We already thought the paranoid new copy protection was pretty bad, requiring as it did an online check everytime you played and giving you a hard time if you tried to launch it offline.

What we didn't think - what we didn't believe they'd be mad enough to do - was that it'd kick you out of the game if your net connection dropped for any reason.

Or, as PCG's Tom Francis rightly observes, even if Ubi's servers happen to have a funny turn. (A troubling precedent for which has already been set by EA - Alec experienced something similar yesterday, when Bioware/EA's servers suffering extended maintenance meant all his Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 DLC was deemed unauthorised, which in turn prevented him from loading savegames. The point being: don't punish your customers because you've screwed up).

Incredibly, the worst is true in Assassin's Creed 2 - and, it appears, will be for Settlers 7 too. No matter what you're doing, no matter what the reason, the game will refuse to let you continue playing if it decides you're not online. You're dumped right back to a menu, losing any progress made since the last checkpoint. If you don't have a constant, uninterrupted internet connection, you can't play. Let's list some of the reasons you might drop your net connection, shall we? Router crash, ISP problems, cat playing with the cable, microwave muddling your wi-fi connection, train going into a tunnel when you're on 3G, Windows having a networking befuddlement, someone else in the house torrenting the bandwidth dry...

Incredible. In-cred-i-ble. It's like someone taking away your food mid-meal because your napkin's fallen on the floor. It makes us want to pull an expression we're not physically capable of, like this.

While we've not always gone full-pelt protest against excessive DRM, this is open contempt for paying customers, and, quite frankly, it's the most valid reason yet for PC gamers to call a massed boycott. We'll certainly be ignoring it with all the passion we can muster.

Posted on 18 Feb 2010, 09:13:00 GMT
Mr. F. Tobin says:
I've never really been all that bothered about DRM, but this is really stupid.
Cancelled my pre-order!

Posted on 18 Feb 2010, 10:23:44 GMT
T. Gibson says:
I certainly won't be ordering this game, and I was considering placing a preorder. Very glad I didn't waste my time, unless Ubisoft scrap this ridiculous DRM scheme the only people enjoying ACII on the PC will be the pirates - I know which version I'd rather play and I always buy legit copies!

Posted on 18 Feb 2010, 18:17:20 GMT
Damnit! I was really looking forward to this game...

But if I buy it now, it will seem as though I'm condoning these new DRM schemes.

Ubisoft, why do you make it so hard to enjoy your good games?!

Posted on 18 Feb 2010, 19:27:30 GMT
Random Task says:
Wow, how retarded can they get. I don't understand how they can be so worried about piracy and know so little about it. This will be cracked, probably before release and the pirates will be getting a superior game.

I always buy my games, unless they impose some draconian DRM. In this case I was not going to play the game anyway as it does not appeal. But on general principal I'm going to download it and then seed like mad for several months, F@@@ em, its going to get Spored big style!

Posted on 18 Feb 2010, 19:54:10 GMT
Lee Whalley says:
I was just about to pre-order this game but after reading this, forget it.

Posted on 19 Feb 2010, 12:09:24 GMT
this makes me a sad panda :(

/cancel Assassin's Creed II pre order

/preorder Battlefield Bad Company 2

ahhhh i feel better now :)

Posted on 19 Feb 2010, 13:17:57 GMT
Hackers says:
Great, i love being treated like a criminal while the real ones get away with it. So apparently now if you rearrange the letters in UBISOFT you get EA Games, how amazing is that.

Posted on 19 Feb 2010, 15:36:48 GMT
fragger says:
when i heard about this i didnt believe it,but now i see its true they can keep their game.so whats the excuse for this rubbish,piracy again?lets see how well THAT works out for them!

Posted on 19 Feb 2010, 15:42:59 GMT
SciFi25 says:
Bad luck ubisoft, guess I get to keep my £27 then!

Posted on 19 Feb 2010, 16:59:52 GMT
Please do NOT buy this game until Ubisoft change the insane DRM

Posted on 19 Feb 2010, 21:13:49 GMT
T. Dungate says:
For those interested in reading the PC Gamer UK experience mentioned above, see here: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=235290&site=pcg

It's completely absurd. Completely, completely absurd.

Posted on 20 Feb 2010, 15:18:47 GMT
Respect for Ubisoft has just gone straight out the window. I was really quite looking forward to this game.

Posted on 21 Feb 2010, 21:42:49 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Feb 2010, 21:43:40 GMT
Mark G. says:
I am yet another customer who was just about to pre-order then I saw this... NO WAY will I be buying this on release.
I've also signed the online petition to UbiSoft: Let's hope that people power will get them to change their minds:

http://www.petitiononline.com/ew15dl94/petition.html

Posted on 21 Feb 2010, 23:09:40 GMT
Dave says:
Cancelled pre-order, bought second-hand on PS3

Posted on 22 Feb 2010, 12:16:19 GMT
Sascha71 says:
Gaming companies always seem to probe how much abuse their customers are willing to tolerate, but this really sets new standards. I really hope nobody will buy any of their products anymore until they either give in or go bankrupt. Either suits me fine. A company which is waging war against their own customers does not deserve doing business with.

Posted on 22 Feb 2010, 18:59:50 GMT
Jake Chand says:
Been waiting for it to come out on pc had it pre-ordered at christmas and resisted buying it for xbox however I've now cancled my pre-order and will buy the game after they take away this absolutly stupid drm or someone comes up with a crack for retail copys

Posted on 23 Feb 2010, 13:23:17 GMT
E. van Duyn says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 24 Feb 2010, 19:12:16 GMT
Anasyn says:
@ E. van Duyn
Regardless, at the end of the day there are still those who live in rural areas without access to the stable connections that Ubisoft have effectively announced aren't worthy of playing their games.

Posted on 25 Feb 2010, 10:55:03 GMT
L.Hallifax says:
Bugger. I was looking forward to this, too. I hope Ubisoft reconsider before they lose all their customers...

Posted on 26 Feb 2010, 17:23:19 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 26 Feb 2010, 17:24:38 GMT]

Posted on 26 Feb 2010, 17:25:26 GMT
Caroline P says:
Unbelievable...was about to pre order but after reading these comments have changed my mind and signed the petition.....would advise all others to do the same and hope that we can make a difference :o)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  42
Total posts:  68
Initial post:  27 Jan 2010
Latest post:  13 Apr 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

This discussion is about
Assassin's Creed II (PC)
Assassin's Creed II (PC) by Ubisoft (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
3.0 out of 5 stars (192)