on 2 February 2016
I would say don't read the introduction first, because the funeral is in it, you need to get to know what a truly wonderful man malcolm X turned out to be, before you read about the funeral, where you will no doubt shed a tear.
I am now checking Malcolm on you tube, What a brilliant and calm man talks nothing but sense.
He could have been mayor of New York and President, unfortunately America is so warped and the populace so controlled.
I wish he could have left NY and stepped back for a while.
They say the truth shall set you free, the truth got Malcolm X free from the hypocrisy of the nation of Islam, SPEAKING that truth is what got him killed.
This book is brilliant, a must read.
10 people found this helpful
on 4 July 2016
A fascinating story and a valuable account of an important 20th century figure. It shows us a driven, disturbed, dynamic young man of tremendous intelligence and resilience which left me wondering what might have been if he had not been murdered before he reached the peak of his powers.

His journey from a (relatively) happy childhood through turbulent adolescence into a man of history is compelling. We learn of the terrible traumas that shaped his life including the break-up of his family following the racist murder of his father and the subsequent (state induced) breakdown of his mother and the belittling career advice he received at school. We follow him through his teen years as a fast living zoot suited novice gangster with his hair suitably “conked” that leads inevitability to jail where he encounters Elijah Muhammad and converts to Islam.

His journey in Islam is fascinating; first he is obsessed with Elijah Mohammed’s teachings which he sees as capturing the struggle of the black man in white supremacist 1950s America then, as his relationship with Elijah deteriorates, he has a further development in his thinking while on the Hajj to Mecca where he experiences people sharing a common cause (Islam) regardless of the colour of the skin.

It’s a shame the book is not particularly well written. I think Haley let down Malcolm X by not using his skills as an author (evident, of course, in Roots) to provide better focus to what Malcolm X is looking to say. What we get instead, particularly in the polemic sections of the book that dominate the second part of the autobiography, is writing that comes across as streams of consciousness. As such it is, at times, repetitive, lacking in clarity and somewhat stodgy to read. You can imagine Malcolm X, in his interviews with Hayley that form the basis of this book, letting rip. That, of itself, is interesting. But it doesn’t make the best reading!

Overall though, I’d put this in the a list of “must read” books for its insight into an important (and fascinating) person at a pivotal time in 20th century American history.
on 24 March 2016
Such an interesting read. So descriptive that you can paint the scenarios in your mind, along with the suspense that it comes with. You feel as though you are living at the time of Malcolm in the flesh understanding everything, especially Malcolms thought processes in such a racist and run down USA. Especially the bit where Malcolm knows the muslims didn't stab him in the back, he realises "this is far beyond the tactic of the black muslims" and that's where the possibility of government (cia/fbi) intervention was sussed. He becomes a muslim and his life does a U-Turn for the best, but he dies before he can put the complete jigsaw puzzle together.
3 people found this helpful
on 19 December 2015
There are not many books i can read cover to cover but this is one of the early few i have done. After looking at the underground rappers, famous personalities which have read his book and been influenced by him, i just had to purchase it for myself. I didn't want to read about him from bias and ignorant people, i wanted to hear it from himself. Half the book deals with his crime filled lifestyle and then the other half, the revolution side. It is a really good book particularly for the teens, especially the wannabe gangsters. It also shows you the real Islam, and how much we owe to it for giving us Malcolm X.
3 people found this helpful
on 31 March 2014
An excellent biography. I need 17 more words to make this review but I am not sure what else to write, It is a very good book, Malcom speaks about the psychology of the people around him, the psychology of wanting to be white, because being white meant a better life. The change he goes through accepting himself and his colour and the subsequent struggle he then undertakes to show people that same acceptance. But as we all know our life be it white or coloured is governed by politics of a higher nature and they use us as pawns as Malcom was and also people around him were used. A very good book I cannot recommend enough.
No racism implied or suggested, I am not a racist nor do I have a problem with anyone being white or coloured.
4 people found this helpful
on 28 August 2017
This is one of the best books I have read. It's so deep in expressing it's truths, the truths we know and see but take for granted. Reading this book you will understand why they called him the angriest black man in America which simply means being too honest. This was a great man and am so happy I bought this book. I have learnt alot from it and yet it has open my mind to quest more knowledge. Thanks to the seller of this book may God bless you.
on 23 June 2017
It's both an exciting and enlightening read and I gained a new level of respect for the man after reading it. Malcolm is truly a one of a kind who lived a very unique life.
on 18 July 2017
Good book and better than just watching the movie and assuming. Most don't know the real malcolm... Well here it is.
on 18 January 2015
I am not someone who usually reads autobiographies as i find most of them not even worth reading, as people only make them to get extra money from it, so called celebrities like Peter Andre, Joey Essex etc, none of which I have read i'm just making a point! But this book was something else, now i'm only 18 years old so i knew little of Malcolm X and what i did know was negative reports from the media most of which was manipulated propaganda and I also knew him through from Muhammad Ali! But this book was defiantly an eye opener of someone who turned his life around to stand up for what he believed in. Although i didn't agree with all his views it was still interesting reading them! But he seemed to change his views a little after his trip to Mecca. I also thought that the "Forward" section at the beginning of the book by Gary Younge was equally as impressive as usually I loose interest in these parts in books and skip it. Overall, this has been one of the best books i have ever read and has changed my life and taught me some valuable lessons. What i read will defiantly stay with me through life and it is a book i will certainly read again.
on 10 August 2017
A master piece, brilliant for illustrating the position black Americans were put through during the years the civil rights fight was at its strongest