Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 30 September 2012
9-year-old Marty has a very annoying older sister aged 11, whose name is Melissa. Marty's a bit of a tomboy while Melissa's rather more the girly type, and they have almost nothing in common. They live with both of their parents, and have no pets. Marty and Melissa have never got on; they have separate bedrooms at the start of this story, but because their mother needs a room in the house to do her sewing, she asks Marty to move into her big sister's bedroom. This causes more problems than ever, for example they have very different ideas as to how the bedroom should be decorated. Also, Melissa is very neat and tidy, whereas Marty's life is messy and chaotic. On one occasion they have an argument which ends in Marty pushing her older sister out of the upper bunk bed leading to a hospital visit for Melissa, where she stays overnight. This turns out to be a good thing, however, because Marty starts to realise how much her sister means to her, and out of guilt she tries to sew back together the doll that was damaged in their fight.

My 9-year-old daughter says of this book "It's the best book that Jacqueline Wilson has written, and I've read at least ten. It really draws your attention to Marty's feelings and because I also have an older sister, I understood what she was feeling. I know what it's like to be bossed around just like Marty is in this story. I've already read it three times and will definitely read it again. It's an easy book to read and finish it in one go without stopping."

So that's a thorough endorsement from a girl right at the heart of this book's target age-group, and makes me very pleased that I bought it. It's not difficult to see why Jacqueline Wilson is such a successful writer of childrens' books - she knows exactly how to plug into how they think.
on 10 April 2016
So this review is based on the opinions of an 8-9yr old. I bought this for my niece as she read Sleep Over and she loved it - this was at the back and so thought this was a perfect way of introducing her to starting a book collection. She instantly started to read it one afternoon and she was already on page 104 after 2 days - when I asked her what she thought - she said it was brilliant and started to tell me what has been happening. I used to love reading Jacqueline Wilson when I was younger and now to see my niece enjoying her writing too it definitely deserves more than 5 stars.
on 23 March 2017
Good read. My daughter LOVED this book. Well written and great story. Highly recommended to KS2, tween age and even the grown ups love it too
on 24 June 2016
Purchased for my little bookworms. They love reading and love holding a book rather than a tablet/kindle etc. The story is brilliant and my kids really enjoyed reading this.
on 12 July 2017
Just another good Wilson books which young girls love.
on 23 January 2014
My daughter thoroughly enjoyed this book...Extremely good and would definitely recommend to all children! 10/10! Good use of words to challenge my daughter!
on 9 August 2017
It's a very loving book considering everyone's feelings . Marty the tomboy and her sister Melissa are very different in their own way that's what I love about it
on 18 March 2014
got this for olivia for my kindle she hasn't finished it yet but hoping she will soon she loves it
on 21 May 2015
daughter very happy with this
on 28 January 2014
Really boring do not buy a really bad book waste of money wish I could get a refund that's how bad the book was