Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 April 2014
I am shocked that this wonderful and deeply thoughtful book, "The Woman Who Went To Bed For A Year" is averagely rated three stars only. It's Sue Townsend's last novel, which I started to read last week abroad, unaware of the author's death, only to be told by a friend, who saw me with the book, that the beloved Sue Townsend died.

I loved the Adrian Mole books, they accompanied me throughout my teen years and I re-read them often. "The Woman Who Went To Bed For A Year" is a dark read, compared to Townsend's lighthearted and hugely entertaining books on Mole's sorrows. It is about a middle-aged librarian Eva, who, when her children leave home to pursue their studies, gets in her bed and stays there (approximately for a year), without any explanation. She has her bedroom painted white, decides to get rid of all her earthly moveable assets (with an exception of her collection of Chanel personal care items). It is a new (and much awaited) start of Eva. Until it all goes further, with Eva demanding for her windows and door to be boarded, when she cannot be bothered to wash herself any more, when the sadness, unfairness and tragedy of the world feels too much for her (and then there is a selfish patronising husband, his mistress of eight years, the children, lacking any emotional connection with their parents and generally socially inept, the set of aging mother and mother-in-law). There is an array of characters, there is a lot of satire and drama, and I just could not put the book down.

"The Woman Who Went To Bed For A Year" is a comical, witty and insightful. It's a page turner, yet full of wisdom, which each chapter giving you food for thought.

On a side note, I am in awe of Sue Townsend, who had to use wheelchair from the age of 30, who was registered blind for more than a decade and who still managed to write such fantastic books. I grieve her death.
on 11 January 2017
Very interesting concept and gripping - but the ending was a total anti-climax. I now wish I hadn't read it as the ending was dull. Such a shame.
on 30 January 2014
I was unexpectedly confined to bed - for a few days - and as Sue Townsend is one of my favourite authors decided this book was the perfect choice. It was. I laughed till I cried, I cried a bit too, and I just loved it. She is razor sharp, bitingly cruel and touchingly gentle at the same time.
I pitied Brian yet hated him.
The poor, misunderstood twins.
The mothers - lovely, real women.
I was sick with laughter at the report in the Leicester Mercury, it was sublime.
And Eva's description of her Christmas preparations should be read to every female before she takes a partner and broadcast on Woman's Hour in October. I personally volunteer to read it out at all the WI meetings in the land, should I ever be invited so to do.
It could only end the way it did, with the hero rescuing his Princess from the ivory tower.
Thanks Sue, good work, gal.
on 1 October 2016
We all feel like hiding under the covers, to escape to find some calm or quiet. An engaging book with believable characters mixed with Sue Townsend's humour and skill for making the ordinary interesting.
on 24 November 2013
I thought this book was a light read in the sense that the language was easy and the style very flowing. I did want to keep coming back to it as the story grabbed my interest. There were some good laugh out loud moments, I loved the bit where Mum was explaining to Dad how to 'do Christmas', very Sue Townsend with a great insight into the trials women go through at Christmas whereas men go to work, come home Christmas eve and it's all happened as if by magic! I felt a little like the story became a bit of a farce towards the end but I would recommend it as a light hearted enjoyable read.
on 5 February 2017
Wonderful book-amusing witty and totally original!would recommend it to lift the spirits.who hasn't thought they would rather stay in bed.
on 28 June 2017
I thought from the title this would be a good book how wrong I was. On the odd occasion it was funny. The ending was such a let down.
on 2 May 2017
Quick delivery - great price
on 27 April 2017
Funny but weak ending
on 16 April 2016
My mother got this for her kindle using my account. She seems to have liked it.