Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.07

on 25 April 2015
This story began in Off Season (1981) and Offspring (1991), making The Woman (2012) the third in this series of books. Like the other books, The Woman is set along the coastline from Maine to Canada, specifically in the fictitious town of Dead River, Maine. In the caves that pepper the mountainside overlooking the ocean are a tribe of cannibals. These feral cave-dwellers are bent on terrorizing the townsfolk and visitors to the area. Other stories that are linked with this trilogy are the novel Hide and Seek (1984) and the short stories Winter Child (2006) and Cow (2012); Winter Child fills the gap between Off Season and Offspring; Cow is a vignette that tracks events following The Woman. I hope this explains the Dead River series to the uninitiated or those who may have read one of the books and crave more.
on 27 October 2011
Oh poor reader do take care as the master of shock and terror has yet again served up a dish of vulgarity, brutality and kindness. Family how wonderful it is, mum and dad brother and sister living as a happy family but it all goes completely out the window when Ketchum is writing!
He opens the plot up with the Woman and a woman in the truest sense she is, but also brutally too in-touch with wilderness and it's savagery.
A hunter stumbles across a prey and brings it home and oh boy that's the best decision he made otherwise we would not have such a shocking story to read.
He brought us Girl next door another shocker and does not fail in this novel, there are disturbing scenes of rape and torture so beware. You will find yourself saying omg many times as the cruelness of these characters unfold in the story, a story that does not let up in momentum and totally gets your attention. The real gem is the way the story unfolds with some hidden secrets. I will not give anything away as that is what really made this a page turning read for me, being in the dark on information. We are an evil species us humans. I wonder at who you will be rooting for in this story that does show the brutality of people.
I am sure the movie is going to be a memorable [...]
on 12 August 2012
I read this book after seeing a clip of the recent movie adaptation , I like a good bit of gore and horror , and this book delivers . Descriptive and thought provoking ......where the book let me down was how little we got to know the `Woman` .....I feel the writer could have elaborated more ,where she came from , how things came about that she was in those circumstances ......the taster the writer gives you is intriguing , however more could be made of it .....I like the parallel to who is the civilised and who is the animal in the book ........some of the situations in the book are shocking , intimated incest , cruelty , abuse .....my real disappointment is how quickly it was all `rounde off` ...the end was hurried and incomplete ......perhaps it could have been a two parter ....not to spoil the book , but almost everything , in its conclusive summary , is in the last few pages ......all that said , I enjoyed the book .....
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 August 2013
Great book, would love a follow up book, love the horror, gore, and would be great to know what happens from this? So please mr jack ketchum please consider a 3rd book :)
on 8 November 2011
the last book of a triology, just as crazy, but good then the first two, recommendabble if you want to know what happen, when civilization is lost!
on 16 January 2015
I didn't see the film so was interested to find out how the story went. Quite a horrifying tale but I thought the ending rather unsatisfactory. Well written.