This cute little book was bound with handcraft methods and contains lovely illustrations by Gary Undercuffer. It is an excellent collection of humorous and uplifting quotations, the funny and the profound side by side, gathered from his novels, short works, letters and speeches. These sources include Joan of Arc, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, A Tramp Abroad, Huckleberry Finn, Life on the Mississippi, The Gilded Age, Europe and Elsewhere, Letters From The Earth and Elsewhere and others. Twain's observations are timeless and often very witty, as in the quote: "Classic: A book which people praise and don't read." Besides its novelty value to collectors as a miniature edition, I think this little book makes an excellent gift.
Enjoy few quotes from this humorous book, then go and buy a copy:

ADVERTISING

During his days as a journalist, the young Mark Twain once edited a small newspaper in Missouri. A subscriber wrote in, saying that he had found a spider in his paper and asked whether this was a sign of good or bad uck. Twain answered:

"Dear Subscriber: Finding a spider in your paper was neither good luck nor bad luck for you. The spider was merely looking over our paper to see which merchant is not advertising so that he can go to that store, spin his web across the door and lead a life of undisturbed peace ever afterward."

ADVICE

It is beter to give than receive - especially advice. Mark Twain was always willing to donate free advice to the needy and the unsuspecting. "It's notble to be good", he said, "and it's nobler to teach others to be good, and less trouble."

Whenever you find that you are on the side of majority, it is time to reform (- or pause and reflect).

BELIEFS

If the man doesn't believe as we do, we say he is a crank, and that settles it. I mean, it does nowadays, because now we can't burn him.

SURGERY

Mark Twain offered this advice on the proper state of mind for undergoing surgery: "Console yourself with the reflection that you are giving the doctor pleasure, and that he is getting paid for it."

INSULTS

When Mark Twain disapproved of someone, he was not likely to keep it a secret. A remark he made on hearing of the death of an annoying person is typical:

"He has done a thing for me which I wouldn't even have done for myself. If he will only stay dead now I will call the account square and drop the grudge I bear him."
on 27 August 2015
I love Mark Twain's books and his whitty sense of humour, this book is a book of quotes he has said in his long and varied career, they make you laugh and think and in some of them your brain hurts until it clicks what he meant. You have to have read him to understand his humour and for me this book was great with quotes I have since used. I found it brilliant.
on 8 September 2014
Samuel Langhorne Clements aka Mark twain was a brilliant observer of life and all its quirkiness.He wrote as he saw and through him we can see life as it was on the Mississippi river in his time. Twain was a keen critic of most things ridiculous,and of politics and politicians,for whom he had little regard.This book is well titled and is indeed chock full of Wit and much Wisdom.Buy it and enjoy every page
on 9 December 2010
Fantastic! I would advise to everyone to have this book at home. It always cheers me up. If you feel down the weather, the best remedy is Mark Twain's quotations.Best of luck!
on 26 January 2013
Mark Twain is SUCH a great writer - my favourite 19th c US writer, and better than most in the 20th century too - though I prefer his humour pieces to his famous novels.

I find it hilarious that his novels (Huckleberry Fin etc) were taken off library shelves in his day because it showed blacks and whites associating with each other (which that society was against) and are taken of the political correct library shelves now because they supposedly show black people as Uncle Toms (they don't). He would have loved that!

His epithets and witticisms are perfect, way less smug than Oscar Wilde, way more rational than most from his age or ours. I particularly love his put-downs of Jane Austen:

'Jane Austen? Why I go so far as to say that any library is a good library that does not contain a volume by Jane Austen. Even if it contains no other book.'

and

'She makes me detest all her people, without reserve. Is that her intention? It is not believable. Then is it her purpose to make the reader detest her people up to the middle of the book and like them in the rest of the chapters? That could be. That would be high art. It would be worth while, too. Some day I will examine the other end of her books and see.'
on 20 April 2015
I love reading anything by Mark Twain. He is a genius. You can't go wrong purchasing this classic collection of quotes, sensibly arranged by category.
on 2 October 2013
Little introductory book, lovely quotes. Nice as a short introduction to Twain. Am now reading Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn.
on 18 April 2015
incredible alphabetical list of quotes: must-read, even if not into Mark Twain
on 20 November 2014
If you like Mark Twain's wit you will love to have this book to hand !