on 1 September 2017
Good book, has gotten me focusing more on my mental strength for sure. There is plenty of **** to sift through in certain chapters, but you will find a few gems.
on 3 September 2017
Really good read has changed me for the better
on 5 August 2017
good
on 10 November 2015
Great book. Very helpful and some very good goal setting and reviewing techniques at the back of the book. Have found this of great help.
"The Way of the SEAL" by Mark Divine tells a story about leadership, about being persistent and focused on one goal until we are able to achieve it.

The author who served Navy SEALS for two decades, as former soldier knows that you engage one target at a time not shifting your focus until the target is dispatched.
Nowadays where multitasking imperative lies in front of us every day, it's hard to focus on one goal - but as long as we feel that it's good to do more things at once, especially in business, and that we're successful doing things in parallel, knows fact is that it's better to do one thing to end well, instead ten of them halfway.

In project management that I do for living, good example of such practice are members of the team that are not fully dedicated to one project, but part of two or more projects - for them it's hard to switch from one project to another, both mentally and physically, therefore the tasks are usually better performed by those who are focused on one project and dedicated to one team.

And exactly that philosophy the author is explaining in his book; while he mentions concept of "front sight focus" he manages to show the reader why it is good to focus on what is directly in front of us, concentrate on the solution of the problem, and then move on to the next challenge.

This is precisely the sense of leadership and management of people and tasks as the author sees it - don't procrastinate things, don't do the things in parallel, deal with them quickly and efficiently, until their end, and then move on to the next challenge.
Also his opinion that the leader is not defined by actions, but the way how the action is carried out, because history is full of leaders who due to their charisma and personality managed to lead people in situations that seemed impossible, sometimes even suicidal.
And with that attitude I can absolutely agree because it's the leader who with attitude and personal qualities must convince those who follow him, whether in business or war, that she/he believes in what she/he does no matter how hard it seems.

Therefore, I can fully recommend Mark Divine book that is a combination of leadership and self-help offering advice from a man who for the 20 years found himself in many more danger situations that we encounter while doing our business - but still the experience and the lessons learned are very much applicable.
on 24 July 2014
A pretty good book overall. Drops into cliche at times and would really have loved to have seen 3 things.
1) A chapter synopsis & summary. (At the end of each section?)
2) A specific action steps piece. (These exists but they are spread out & seem randomly ordered/ sprinkled throughout the book.)
3) A online companion guide/ forum, where these ideas come to life and animate using the wisdom of the crowd.

The content would also benefit from the author understanding the process of the SEALs in terms of how that relates to the conventional world most of us occupy. Which is far removed from the SEAL environment.

As as high performance coach myself, I think that would have been invaluable.
1 example:
The SEALs train to push themselves beyond what we are told to believe is possible. (A 20 hour march, followed by 4 hours sleep and then another 20 hours march... back-to-back.) They key lesson to learn and apply is that this is a conditioned belief from our society and the media. Once you understand that, its no problem to see that whilst tough, such training is very possible and was in olden times considered a "rite of passage" in some cultures.
He share numerous narratives and anecdotes like this throughout the book. A more polished tome would have these structured and shared with additional content, to really shine and dominate this topic.
on 14 June 2014
The Way of the SEAL: Think Like an Elite Warrior to Lead and Succeed by Mark Divine is a great book for mind, body, and soul. I enjoyed this book because it gives you simple ways to take your goals and put them into concrete actions. One of the tenets of the book is "Front Sight Focus". This is the ability to focus on one goal till it is achieved. According to the book the ability to focus your mind is also very important. The book also talks alot of leadership. The book says we all need to develop our own leadership abilities. The steps laided out in this book are not easy but they are worth the journey if you follow them. I definitely enjoyed reading this book and I think you will get alot out of reading it as well.

Thank you for reading my review.
on 3 January 2014
I like inspiring books and Mark Divine's "The Way of the SEAL" is one of them. Crisp reading, clear outlines and very interactive. It is good for anybody who wants to forge ahead, irrespective of the field the person is involved in. Comes on top of Disciples of Fortune, Leadership:Theory and Practice, Long Walk to Freedom, as inspirational books that I enjoyed.
on 19 October 2015
Product is exactly what I wanted and has proven to be as good as I wanted it to be.
on 10 May 2015
Bought this as a gift & it was greatly appreciated