Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 July 2011
This is not a book review but a warning. I have read this author's previous work so bought The Way of Kings & TWoK book2 at the same time. Only to discover I had bought the whole of the book and a separate book comprising of the 2nd half of the book also. I wrongly assumed that book 2 was a follow on book, it is not. I accept I have made a dumb mistake and the cost is minimal but, i hope this prevents anyone else repeating it. In short buy part 1 and part 2 collectively or the whole book independantly.
(The book is fab though and well worth the extra regardless, another triumph by Mr Sanderson)
1111 comments| 130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 December 2011
I read a lot of fantasy and sci-fi books - in fact, any which come my way, and rarely find something which doesn't already seem familiar to other authors I've read. Rarely do I come across an author who managed to find a new 'hook' to lift their books above the ordinary; equally rarely do I come across one with such strong regard for the written word.

The two-part book "The Way of Kings" comprises the first in a new series, and for me was impossible to put down. It is beautifully written, and each character is sufficiently in-depth to paint a real picture of them while keeping a slight air of mystery. I found myself completely oblivious to the outside world; in fact my partner had to call me three times for dinner as I was so caught-up in the magnificent world he has created and peopled.

I would not recommend these books for someone looking to read a few pages each day for a month or two as I feel the beautifully crafted storylines would lose some of their greatness over such a period of time; instead wait for a rainy day and devote yourself to them as they're really worth it. I was given these as a gift for Christmas, and sat down to read them yesterday. I'm now avidly awaiting the next in the series!

A masterpiece of the genre, I cannot rate this highly enough.
on 23 October 2014
The titles are very confusing as this is the 2nd book, but part of book 1. Words of Radiance: The Stormlight Archive Book Two: is actually the 3rd book in this series.
The Way of Kings has some very different and new ideas, and the story is told well, which is why I have bought the next book in the series. It is going to be set over 10 volumes, but doesn't say how many books.
on 15 November 2011
I am a huge fan of Brandon Sanderson. His "Mistborn" books are seriously well written, wonderful entertainment and a joy to read.
Similarly, "The Way of Kings" is an epic tale, told with a fine eye for highly original detail, good strong and well drawn characters, wonderful story telling, a host of plots and a scope to rival George R R Martin's "A Song of Ice And Fire" sequence. Powerful stuff and recommended unreservedly. Brandon Sanderson is at the top of his game.
Imagine my frustration and annoyance then, having finished 'Archive Book One' and eagerly picking up the very much smaller "Book Two", only to find myself reading the same book all over again but in a much reduced form. Thumbing through chapter after chapter in a fruitless search for some fresh material that I hadn't already just read.
Disappointment doesn't begin to describe it. The publishers presentation of this second book gives every impression that this is the follow up. It is not. The lack of any kind of indication on the cover is, to put it politely, regrettable.
If you have bought the first book, a very large and heavy tome, then you will have read the entire offering, do not buy this book as you will be wasting your money.
However, I still can't wait for the "real" book two and I am 'fascinated' to know what Brandon Sanderson and his publishers will actually call it.
44 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 October 2015
Great Series, Great Author, Great impatience waiting for the next in the series!
Can't complain as Brandon Sanderson is a beast for churning out brilliant books in no time at all, seriously I think there's something wrong with him, but i love it.
I guess what i'm trying to say is buy this book,
buy his other books,
do it,
now,
you wont regret it.

I got into this series after the WoT series, if you like one you'll like the other.
on 25 March 2013
This might be hands down one of my greatest book purchases to date, Sanderson, James Barclay and Brent Weeks are my current favourite authors and im loving the scope, beauty and diversity of this book (as part 1 and 2 are only split due to its size)

One of the greatest original fantasies ive ever read, and im looking forward to seeing what Sanderson does with the world of great things he has created!
on 10 January 2013
This is some of Sandersons best work. The characters are fascinating and well written. As usual with Sanderson the story unfolds slowly but i was never bored. The World created in this book is one of the best that i have seen and i desperately want to know more about its history. My only criticism is that i am going to have to wait for the next installments.
on 4 February 2013
I had already read the first volume in this new series by Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings Book One, so I was pleased to see this for sale as a used copy, so I could get to the end of the story so far. I would say that it was really "as new" and certainly a bit better than expected. The impression was that someone had read it just once. Recommended seller, for that reason.
on 7 November 2012
guys you seriously can't think this was a money making scheme. i'd rather say you should pay closer attention to what you buy! due to the length, the first half was released - obviously - before part two was released. for most people, it makes more sense to just buy the complete books. for those, however, who started with PART one, it is an opportunity to only buy part two. i didn't compare prizes, but one part is certainly less expensive than the whole book, thus giving you a chance not to pay too much. if you paid attention.

the book, however, is very good! i grew curious for sanderson's stories after reading his wheel of time books. i was not disappointed.
on 27 June 2011
Superb book and I for one cannot wait for the next installment. Alot of reviewers seem to insist that new authors should be creative in relation to magic, races wtc to be successful. I personally dont agree with this, as long as an author can keep you immersed in a book with a great story, interesting characters and smooth worldbuilding then I am generally happy. Saying that this is one of the more creative books I have read and I absolutely loved it, far more so than Sanderson's first Mistborn book, bring on part 2.