on 19 July 2017
great condition and arrived as agreed
on 14 August 2017
Brilliant series
on 19 July 2017
These books were great - even if i am an adult!
on 26 July 2017
Just a brill series
on 24 May 2011
If you haven't read the 4 titles in the 'Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel' series that come prior to The Warlock, then I would advise you do! Not only are you missing a great and award winning series, but the plot is very detailed and you may find it hard to follow the fast-paced roller coaster that this book is!
My son and I have read all the prior titles and enjoyed them immensely, but this one is my favourite!
The plot twists and turns at a break-neck pace, more characters are arriving, some we've met before, some are new to us, they have one of two aims.. to either aid Nicholas and Perenelle Flamel to retrieve the Codex and save the humani from certain suffering at the hands of the Dark Elders.. or to aid Dr Dee, Niccolo Machiavelli and the Dark Elders to gain the final two missing pages of the Codex and commence the Final Summoning that will see the humani enslaved to them as they regain control over the world.
Exactly who is on which side can never be guaranteed, and some characters are questioning the strength of their conviction and loyalty to their chosen side.
Josh Newman has left the Flamels and joined with Dr Dee.. will Sophie be able to convince him to return to the Flamels and to her side.. or will she leave the Flamels and her belief that they are doing the right thing, just to be re-united with her brother?
Meanwhile, some of the Flamel's supporters are off on a mission of their own, William Shakespeare, Comte de Saint-Germain, Scathach and Palamedes are in a very strange and mysterious place, having been taken there by the equally mysterious Marethyu.. who seems to have an agenda all of his own, but which side of this epic battle is he on?
You'll need to read The Warlock to find out the answers.. and it's an exciting, spellbinding and totally absorbing read!
on 7 June 2011
Probably the best series of books I've had the pleasure of reading.

The use of real historical people, places, myths and legends is inspired. It has prompted me to google and learn so many fascinating stories and biographies that I would have otherwise been ignorant of.

Roll on 2012, although that will mean the end of this wonderful series, will just have to re-read (again).
on 19 June 2011
I am a big fan of Michael Scott's series and pre-ordered this latest title, although I'd rather have had the American cover, that would have meant waiting longer for the book. The cover on this Doubleday UK edition is horrible. But that's beside the point. Scott continues the story of Josh and Sophie Newman in this latest instalment. It's hard to believe that this is the fifth book in the series but we are only a week further on than when the story started back in The Alchemyst. The events of this book all take place in less than a day, but there is a lot to pack in. A previous reviewer described this book as a rollercoaster, but I didn't feel like there was a lot of action in this book. Instead, there was a lot of talking and explanations, which were very necessary at this point in the series, but still leave us with more questions than answers. In order to keep all the action current, Scott jumps around from one group of characters to another, and the plot is so convoluted and complex that it can be hard to keep track of all the different groups. However, that might be because I read this book in smaller chunks rather than in more sustained reading sessions.

I love the way Scott weaves so many different mythologies together in his story, along with historical figures. It has led me to some interesting research and side reading. In fact, for anyone beginning this series, I recommend reading with Google open beside you. I enjoyed this latest instalment and I recommend it for readers of any age. But you can't read this unless you've read the rest of the series first. There would be no point. This is not a series you can pick up part way through. The bombshell at the end totally took me by surprise, and I'll be looking forward to the sixth and final book next year.
on 22 January 2013
I've been reading these books for 5 years. I've never gotten bored of them and they are very well worn!!

Personally, I love the mystery of them. It's very Harry Potter but in no way a rip off!! The mythical and legendary creatures and humans in it are unique and bring a whole new spin to the clique of the twins.

In all other books series I've read (there have been many and no other exceptions) I have always favoured the good guys. But I guess what makes this book so thrilling is the bad guys. And (SPOILER ALERT) the bad guys that go good. I must admit, I did see it coming but, again, I loved the foreshadowing!!
Needless to say, my favourite character is Machiavelli!!!

Without giving too much away, personally, I loved the ending, although some more well read people out there would say it is overdone or predictable. I disagree.

All in all, a very well written and entertaining novel. And series. The face I have been reading it since I was 10 should be testament enough. Would recommend to people my age and especially those with a love of magic, myth and legend combined with todays world!
on 13 June 2012
I have very much enjoyed the series until this point but felt a little let down by this one. Don't get me wrong, it's still good but it's clear The Warlock is the build up to the end of the series. In terms of what actually happens there isn't really that much. It focuses much more on the history of the mythology, a mixture of mythology's from all over the world, and on how the characters are developing and connected to each other. In fact it seems that every character has a link with another that you wouldn't forsee.

I like how it flitted between several stories but it seemed to lack the plot of the others. I was expecting another huge battle at the end but it just didn't materialise. And Nicholas Flamel has suddenly become a fairly minor character which is disappointing considering the series takes his name.

It won't be until the series is complete that this book's full value will be known but I feel that it's the calm before the storm. It's good as a continuation of the series but if it was a one-off book I would be really slating it now.
on 18 November 2011
Clears up a lot of loose ends from the previous books but definitely leaves you hungering for the next one - Michael Scott is great at creating mythologies and blends them well with actual mythology - the one great thing is that there is always a satisfying conclusion to his book series' - it may not be a conventionally palatable conclusion but he generally does not leave anything unexplained.
There are definitely some similar storylines from his 'Tales of the Bard' series but this is inevitable as some of the mythologies overlap and his 'Hook Handed' character seemed initially to be a link between the two but after speaking to Mr Scott on Facebook he has made it clear that the 'Hook' is where the similarity ends.

Eagerly awaiting the next book in the series.