on 3 June 2013
Probably one of the first scifi stories I knew.
The fact that H.G.Wells wrote his stories so long ago, in what by comparison today could be classed as quite archaic (antiquated) times, speaks volumes as to the imagination this man could bring forth.
I have a large collection of his works in hardback, but had sadly misplaced this story along the way, probably moving house at some time.
I was very pleased to see this Kindle version of it, and I wonder what he would have made of his work being able to be purchased and read in this way.
Wonderful story, brilliant author.
on 28 April 2013
Perhaps it's partly to do with the fact that I have read many of H G Wells' books or because I used to live close to Woking, where the Matians landed, this is a true classic of a book and although the Americans have tried to make movies of this story, unsuccessfully , I'm afraid, this is a wonderful story told only the way that H G Wells could tell a story. It is told in the first person and it gets you really believeing that you're there alongside the story teller.
I would recommend it as a classic to anyone.
on 30 July 2013
The war of the world's is a deep, dark, Victorian novel of psychological fear and loathing. It says a great deal about the Victorian literary mind set, and the possibility that somewhere lay a species more cunning than the British imperialist.
It is also a novel about that other Victorian totem, that which dominated the lives of so many, premature and agonising death, both that of the human population as well as the Martian.
A grand narrative then, and one which still resonates in the works of authors such as J G Ballard, as well as in early 70s Doctor Who.
on 23 September 2013
Ok so I have grown up with WOTW audit play, watched the dodgy 1980s an 90s films and I decided it was time to return to the original text. I felt the very matter of fact narrative work really well at placing the reader in an era of the stiff upper lip Victorian gentleman. The level of detail in his wanderings had me wanting to reach for the A2Z to follow his route and to place him in the modern land scape. I will still enjoy the audio play and will now be able to paint in other parts of the story that it omits and to remember the modern day additions that have been used to embellish it.
on 9 December 2013
Simply great stuff.

You've seen the lame Tom Cruise film and heard the Jeff Wayne music. This is the book that inspired them - and what a book.
It is written in a different style and language that we are used to now, of course, but this only seems to add to the flavour of the story being told. It is also surprising how different the original story is to the version we trhink of today.
I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good read and is happy to open their mind to something a bit different.
on 27 January 2015
A few years ago I was sitting on a train next to a man reading a book, he was so engrossed, that I couldn't help glancing over his shoulder to see what he was reading. This was during my "before I started to read fiction period" - I'm dyslexic and so took to reading fiction late in life. It turned out he was reading this book and because it mentioned places I knew (Isleworth and Putney Hill) it interested me. The strange reasons we start to read a book. This is now one of my favourite books. I have read it more times than I can count.
on 13 June 2013
This is one of the best books I've ever read. It's beautifully written. I first read it when I was eight or nine and it terrified me. Today we have walking robots, lasers, poison gas and flying machines so the Martians might seem a little feeble and quaint to a modern reader. However, to a Victorian reader, the Martian technology must have seemed almost beyond belief that such machines could ever be built. Also, for those who are interested, WOTW gives a great insight into Victorian culture and mores. Even the threat of a war with Germany is mentioned, seventeen years before the event.
In Wells's next book, 'When the Sleeper Wakes', there is a passing reference to the Martians in the second chapter. 'Sleeper' is set in 2100 and in a way it can be viewed as a sequel to WOTW. Also highly recommended.
on 22 January 2015
You'd think that after watching so many apocalyptic movies in the last few decades, one would be immune to the terror of a classic like War of the Worlds. Think again. This is a truly chilling story, which still manages to instill real terror in the reader. Even though I knew the story well (having listened to Jeff Wayne's Musical Version countless times), the atmosphere Wells creates is terrifying and almost unbearable. Living in Surrey, the story also had a special effect on me, as I could easily imagine the destruction brought about by the Martians. Highly recommended!
on 24 May 2013
Wells story has been misinterpreted many times on film and radio so it was good to get back to the original. Who would have guessed that the story was NOT set in the USA but in England? Although the language can be a bit dated at times, the narrative is well structured and exciting. There's not a hint of Tom Cruise or any over zealous GI Joe's to battle the Martians and the story is all the stronger for that. It also gives the reader a slice of life when times were simpler, the classes new their place and enemies were easy to spot.
on 22 August 2016
one of the all time classics, a book everyone has heard of but may not have read. very exciting in places and you want to almost reach out to be in the book. a lot of what happens people will be able to relate to and it certainly makes you think about things and what is happening in the world today.