on 8 October 2016
Excellent guide to using VueScan, methodical and sensible. I found it easy to understand and full of helpful tips. Also useful advice on how to balance time to spend against quality of scan needed. I didn't know how to save settings for different tasks until I read this, and now I know how to take full advantage of all the features of VueScan which of course you don't have to learn differently for another scanner. The initial sections on colour space and gamut explained this better than anything else I'd read before. Useful pointers to sources of further advice eg calibration targets, but with a practical approach so that you don't have to over-complicate things if you don't need to. Final sections provide a comprehensive guide to all possible menus and options. I already had good results with century-old family black and white prints, some decaying. Although this edition is a few years old, the author still kept the promise on the jacket and answered a question from me, but you have to find him via the RookyNook website now as the ScanGuru site had closed.
on 13 June 2017
Excellent book. Very useful to use with older Scanners ( I'm using the with Konica/Minolta scan dual iV ) I used vue scan for the past 15 years with other negative/ slide scanner's. Results are always very good. The guide book is a good supplement to the instructions.
on 9 December 2011
Great book to complement great software that extends the life of otherwise great hardware made virtually obsolete by the manufacturer's refusal to update drivers from Win98 and WinXP to Win7. Mr. Hamrick's software is actually better than the OEM's. Thank you Mr. Steinhoff; thank you Mr. Hamrick.
on 18 March 2012
I have used VueScan as my main scanning software for a number of different scanners over the course of several years and have nothing but praise for the application.

The only problem I have ever found using VueScan has been the difficulty in fully understanding some of its complexities as many of the settings are quite different to those found in other imaging and scanning applications.

This useful "Bible" certainly helps enormously and will be my permanent reference to this excellent application. Thoroughly recommended.
on 14 December 2013
I was interested in this book in Kindle version as it is a lot cheaper than the paper version but was a bit wary as no-one else had mentioned how well it works as a kindle book. I have two devices, a Nexus 10 (Android 10 inch tablet) and a Kindle Keyboard.

Nexus 10. Yes you do get nice colour images which at first appear far too small on the screen. If you pinch or try to zoom the text changes size but the images stay far too small. You can, however, double tap on the image and it gets blown up to full screen. Most of the images are ok when blown up but there appears to be some variability in the quality of the images. If you use the "click to look inside" on the amazon web site, kindle version, and look at the image just under "Try before you buy" within the book you can see the quality of the image. I think this is the poorest, most unusable, with the rest being like the one in the "Advanced / More Full display of all options" section which are passable.

Kindle keyboard. Images do come through but obviously in black and white. If you use the cursor to move up onto the image you get a little magnifying glass and a single press on the ok button (the big square one) enlarges the image to fit to screen. Often the text is not quite readable. A second press of the ok button allows you to select 150%, 200%, 300% and actual size. At 150% the images were bigger than the screen, just, but were readable. On the kindle it is a bit more awkward than on the 10" tablet but still readable. Presumably later versions of kindle will do the same and possible give you better contrast.

So my 3 stars is only based on the usability of this as a kindle book with respect of the images. It is ok but not perfect. As you will probably be using the book in conjunction with the software itself, it is not a show stopper.
on 16 August 2011
I am not the worlds expert in matters relating to technology, and so was quite pleased when this book launched, having taken my time to read it through I now feel far more confident in downloading the software to allow me to begin the mammoth task of digitising a lifetimes collection of negatives and tranparencies, some dating back to 1965. I have read on many occasions that Vuescan is the must have software for compatibility with the majority of scanners, and I only hope that the software lives up to my expectations, the book certainly gives me the added confidence to take the scanning bull by the horns so to speak, and it makes for more confidence to have a step by step guide easily available when dipping ones toe into the water that is photographic scanning for the first time.
on 18 April 2014
I am an experienced scanner of photographs, but found myself using Vuescan for the first time. It is significantly different from other scanning programs, and at first seems hard to understand. You need to persist, though, because once you learn its ways, it is both powerful, and strangely, rather easy to use. You need help to get going, though, as the official information is brief and not well organised. Hence this book. I'm not sure if it was originally written in English or translated from German, but either way the style takes a little bit of getting used to. Once you are attuned to that, it's really very helpful. The first half is a tutorial on scanning for quality, using Vuescan. Necessarily, the author begins at the beginning so I was able to speed-read in places, though even experienced users should not skip this part entirely. The second half goes through all the menu options in detail, not just explaining what they do, but recommending the best combinations of settings for different tasks. Overall the book was very helpful in getting me up to speed faster than I would have done on my own, and very probably better. With its help I now regard Vuescan as one of the most useful and versatile scanning tools I have found. I have the kindle edition which is much cheaper than print. It is a bit more difficult to navigate a than a book would be, and the illustrations, even viewed on a modern iPad, are not clear enough to make points they are supposed to make. However, the book doesn't really need them, so I think most people would be happy with the Kindle version on iPad. I tried it on a real Kindle too, but found that the book really benefits from the larger screen of the iPad, far more than a novel does.
on 4 August 2013
It is a good general guide for VueScan but It is more like a user manual. I was expecting more tips and in depth techniques about using Vuescan for instance the scanning distance between the holder and the scanner etc.
on 21 August 2014
VueScan is an odd piece of software - it works with just about every scanner, takes full advantage of each scanner's facilities, and is constantly being improved. But ... its help system and online manual is most kindly described as "minimalist".

As others have said, "The VueScan Bible" is the manual that should have but did not come with the software. The book author has had assistance from the VueScan author, Ed Hamrick, and provides a much more detailed description of the various functions as well as advice on how to use them.

However, "The VueScan Bible" is not entirely up-to-date, not least because the Hamricks are constantly changing the program, especially in respect of some of the more esoteric functions. Generally, the further you move beyond relatively routine scanning tasks - the point at which detailed explanations begin to become more valuable - the less information it provides.

More positively, Steinhoff is not afraid to take a slightly critical line and admit that VueScan has its deficiencies, or to recommend that you use a different application for some tasks. For example, he suggests that black-and-white prints should be scanned in full colour and then processed in Photoshop, which was exactly the conclusion I had reached myself through experimentation, before receiving the book.

In summary, recommended to all VueScan users, but don't set your expectations too high!
on 6 September 2015
I got this a couple of years ago and it has been great for the job (it has no competition though, as the Vuescan online tutorials are fairly basic!). It's clear and meticulous in explaining principles and documenting procedures, with good illustrations, although the print version doesn't have an index, which is an annoying omission in a reference book.

It's getting long in the tooth now (2011), especially as the Vuescan software is updated regularly, and I was checking to see if there was a new edition - it seems not. It really needs updating.