on 13 June 2010
21 books as promised in perfect condition. My 2 oldest daughters were very excited and started arguing over them immediately! My youngest not yet reading but they will be saved for her too. They are FUN and INTERESTING to read- Yes- history books!! If only history was this interesting when I was at school! We love the TV series so was hoping we wouldnt be disappointed with the books, so far so good- I read one book in a day and plan to read the whole lot along with the children.
on 12 March 2017
not my taste but ok
on 14 November 2011
bought it for the grandson, who has the Victorians for a project at school.
excellent - I read it first - what a hoot!
on 1 September 2013
I chose this rating because this book ,although very good and factual, could have been a bit longer. I have read longer Horrible Histories and I would like this one to be a bit longer.
on 24 April 2003
We bought the magazine version because my daughter was studying the Tudors in school. We kept up with the collection of magazines and tried some of the books. She loves them. Her interest in history is growing and she has learned to move away from just the horrible bits and into a more complete picture. These books are a gem for that. Anything that can get a 7 year old away from the tele and connected to the stream of the past, present and future that is life is great.
on 14 December 2012
Had to order this on Kindle as daughter informed me at the last moment that they had a project on the Victorians for after the Christmas break. We were on holiday with no library nearby so the electronic edition of the book came in very handy. The book is well written and cleverly illustrated which makes it fun to read and learn. I recommend it unreservedly!
on 22 March 2007
......from children in the monstrous mines and savage schools to the vile Victorian Queen herself.

Be warned, this book is not for the squeamish.........
You wouldn't believe some of the things the vile Victorians got up to. After you've read this book you still might not believe them. But they are true, I'm afraid.
Some Victorians could be Vicious and Violent and Villainous - VILE, in fact.
When you've finished reading the book you'll probably know more fascinating facts about the Victorians than your teacher....
Be warned, again!
This book is not suitable for adults.
Victorian adults did some pretty nasty things to children.
You wouldn't want your parents or teachers to get any horrible ideas, would you?

Read on for curious quizzes, rotten recipes, gruesome games and terrible tests.........for your teacher!
History has never been so horrible!'

A witty, colourful cover opens to 127 pages, split over chapters:

8. Vile Victorian food
9. Vile Victorian facts
10. The vile Victorian Army
11. Vile Victorian villains

with an introduction and an epilogue.

Written with the typical Deary humour, in a variety of fonts, and super black & white illustrations/cartoons throughout, from Martin Brown.

Do you know what Mary Ann Cotton did? How about Matthew Webb?

'.....Children of the 1990s still suffer from the horror of homework, the terror of teachers and the dread of school dinners. BUT......if you think school is BAD in the 20th century, you should have gone to school in the 19th!......'
on 15 February 2010
The Horrible Histories box set is incrediable value for money. It arrived safely. I have only read a few of the books but they are great for young children or older children who want to understand the basics of a certain topic. Actually 23 books, all the main periods are covered from Romans to Tudors and up to the 2nd World War.
on 3 June 2010
Nice boxset containing the books.
However the only problem was that instead of the advertised 21 books, there were only 20 books in the set. I would suggest that whoever is advertising this boxset actually changes the caption as it is misleading and therefore in breach of some regulations or other.
That said though, the boxset was in perfect condition and the books are as you would expect of these titles.
Good collection at a fairly sensible price.
on 8 June 2010
There are 21 books in the a box which has some Horrible Histories illustration (really nice). On the box, it wrote that there are 20, but I counted and there are actually 21, just like the title of this product. I really like this because I can get most of the HH Collection now.
review image review image review image review image review image