on 12 November 2010
I purchased the first book for my daughter. She fell in love with it instantly so I got the next 6 titles for her birthday. The 7 books have been our bedtime story for months and book 8 is ordered and on the way.
My 8 year old cant wait to see what happens next!

I wont give away any of the plot but I absolutely love the way fairy tales and childrens favourite classical creatures/people come together to keep a fast moving, exciting world.

It can be a bit dark in places but I think they like that - each chapter end leaves you wanting more (then again dont children always want more at bedtime!)

The 'bad guy' is a total surprise at the end of book 7 and I'm not giving any hints! I dont think I have ever been so off the mark when identifying who the villain will end up being.

I'm really looking forward to reading book 8 when it arrives. The whole series is so good that I wanted to be the one reading the bedtime story otherwise I was missing the story!
on 15 July 2014
I really enjoyed reading the whole series and was quite sad when I finished the last book! It's a truly charming series and I would recommend all of them, not just this one.
on 21 August 2016
Super series of books based on Grimm's fairy tales
on 1 September 2016
Great story niece of 8 loved it.
on 17 January 2015
amazing book My favourites
Since learning that their parents are alive but being help captive by strong magic, sisters Sabrina and Daphne Grimm are spending every spare moment looking for some way to free their parents. All that changes when their social worker shows up and threatens to take them away from their grandmother if they don't enroll in school right away.

And so the two start classes at Ferryport Landing Elementary. Daphne is thrilled to have Snow White as her teacher. Sabrina is less enchanted with her teacher, Mr. Grumpner. Her students are horrid bullies, at least the ones who are actually awake. The rest just seem to sleep through everything. But when Mr. Grumpner is found murdered, Sabrina really suspects that something strange is going on at her new school. Can she figure out what it is?

It's been a year since I read the first book in the series, so I was happy to see that the book took the time to bring us back up to speed. It only hinted at the events from book one, but it did take enough time to reestablish this fun universe.

Unfortunately, the book did take a little too long to get started. The first quarter of the book was rather slow. Once it did get going, things picked up dramatically. I actually read the second half in one setting. And the ending just leaves you wanting to read the next book immediately.

The characters were all great again. I must admit there were times I wanted to knock some sense into Sabrina, but the author managed to keep her a sympathetic character. Even better, we could understand why she felt and acted the way she did.

The creativity is still there in what is shaping up to be a fun series. I will be looking forward to how it continues in the third book.
on 6 July 2013
I find this book ok. I think this book should be for 6,7,8 year olds I think they would enjoy it . I am 9 and a bit to old for it. This was the worst book out for the series, because it wasn't very exciting.