on 6 June 2010
I was really interested in this and ordered it before seeing a copy in real life. I must admit I am disappointed as the ONLY roads marked on it are the suggested 'cycle suitable' routes. These are very few in comparision to the national network of normal roads and lanes. This is problematic as if you need to cut across country, go to an area or village not on a 'designated route' or if you need to change or connect routes from one recommended route to another. Any of these issues makes this map pretty useless, as no alternative roads are marked in, none of the general road network or country lanes. This is a crippling impractical feature, about as much use as a car atlas would be if it showed only motorways and no other routes at all.

I tried using this map in conjunction with a standard Ordnance Survey map, but the scales are different and the lack of info makes it quite hard to match in the 'cycle routes' with the general road network on a 2nd map, plus of course, you now have 2 maps to handle.

On the whole, I think its a great idea, but could have been executed in a way more aligned with real life route issues, instead of somewhat idealised cycle routes that have such hugely limited destination and route options.

I hope they re-think some of this and do a 2nd edition with the national road network included, and a load of towns and villages being included.
22 Comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 6 July 2009
I'd been waiting and wanting something like this for ages and it is useful for the first stages of planning a bike tour. It's nicely produced and the information is easily accessed. It's a double-sided map but the UK is so big that there are limits to the information that can be given, for example at least one major cycle-way that I know in my area isn't shown. But I have learned from this map of other cycle-ways elsewhere that I'll be trying out. I'm glad I bought it.
on 18 December 2015
ok ish gave it away
on 29 July 2013
Just what I expected. However as lots of new paths are being added this is out of date quickly. You will also need local maps to help you navigate some of the routes that are not well sign posted.
on 2 May 2014
good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 August 2009
As always brilliant service via Amazon exactly the information required for planning cycle journeys and additional purchase suggestions a great help am now awaiting delivery of one of the suggestions. Brilliant thank you
on 3 July 2009
The Ultimate UK Cycle Route Planner - Map: 16, 500 Plus Miles of Signed Leisure Routes by Richard Peace. This map has become a key document in my stage-by-stage journey by bicycle round the coast of Britain. Charlie, Bristol.
on 7 December 2011
I bought this as a stocking filler for my husband last year and since have got two more for other mums. We wanted to start cycling as a family and this is great to show us what there is in an area we are visiting. Yes, you do then need to look at the web or an OS map to get the detail you need (especially if you have young children to feed and water en route) but it certainly opened the way to some wonderful days with our kids, nephews and nieces this year out in the fresh air.
on 29 November 2011
Basically this is a large scale map of the UK with nowhere near enough detail to plan a decent ride anywhere. You'd be better off buying the good mountain biking guide or one of Nick Cotton's books specific to the area you intend to visit. Kevin
on 7 March 2011
I found that the map had too much information on it for the size of the map making it very difficult to read.