on 8 September 2013
Another 80s collection, this one a bit too familiar I'm afraid. Nothing really new is on this collection. Also, losing marks are Amazon for having the same track listing on CD2 as CD1 - this should read :

CD2:
01. Mr. Mister - Kyrie
02. Cutting Crew - (I Just) Died In Your Arms Tonight
03. A Flock Of Seagulls - I Ran (So Far Away)
04. Aztec Camera - Somewhere In My Heart
05. A-Ha - Cry Wolf
06. Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Two Tribes
07. Julian Cope - World Shut Your Mouth
08. Simply Red - I'm Gonna Do The Right Thing
09. The Dream Academy - Life In A Northern Town
10. Bananarama - Rober De Niro's Waiting
11. Howard Jones - What Is Love?
12. Madness - It Must Be Love
18. The Housemartins - Caravan Of Love
19. The Bluebells - Young At Heart
20. Fine Young Cannibals - Johnny Come Home
on 1 June 2016
has the full album version of I Ran by Flock of Seagulls, which I've never seen on any other compilation. Also has the brilliant 80s pop dance song Push It by Salt n Peppa, which I've also not seen on other 80s compilations (no idea why, as it's clearly one of the most fantastic songs to come out of 80s). Also, similar to above 2 tracks mentioned, it has the track Dub Be Good To Me. A classic to me, but I've seen it on this 80s compilation and this one alone.

Though I felt it deserved the full 5 stars in my review, there were 1 or 2 absent tracks that would have made this compilation perfect.
Call Me my Blondie is a key one (which I've seen on many other comps), or Rush Rush by Blondie/Debby Harry (which I have ONLY seen on the Scarface soundtrack, which is one the best 80s compilation cds in its own right).
Also a Bonnie Tyler track (I've also noticed Bonnie Tyler tracks e.g. Total Eclipse of the Heart are usually not 80s compilation cds for some reason).
Maybe 1 or 2 others, but like I said, because of what I said in 1st paragraph this deserves 5 stars to me.
on 24 August 2016
Good selection, 100 tracks, lots to like, some tracks that don't seem to turn up very often, like Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock - it takes two, Levert - casanova and The Mint Juleps - every kind of people, to just name a few, mixed in with lots more well known tracks
on 23 February 2014
I bought this CD, because I love 80's music. However, I was very disappointed with this album. It does have some good and some very good songs on here, but there are also far too many filler tracks, or tracks from the late 80's that I didn't like or didn't know. I made the same mistake with this CD that I made with the 70s School Days album, also available in this collection. The tracks looked much better when I first looked at the tracklist, but not as good now that I have played it through. So, I wouldn't recommend this album at all, unless you like obscure tracks or the same old, same old that is on other 80s CDs. If you want a good CD of 80s music, then my advice to you is to try a different album. Three stars from me.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 17 September 2013
If I had ten pence for every 80s compilation I have bought in my time well, I'd probably be able to buy myself yet another one. This particular 5CD set came my way purely and simply because it contains 100 tunes, at a reasonable price, and manages to combine classic (yes, possibly even some 'over-familiar') tracks with ones that are much less frequently to be found in 80s compilation captivity. It also happens to contain a song by Bananarama, meaning I couldn't have talked myself out of buying it, even if I had wanted to.

The quality of the recordings is good and there is a really nice cross-section of stuff from throughout the decade. It steers clear of a lot of the bigger bands ( Duran Duran and Spandau Ballet being just two of the more notable examples) so I wouldn't for one moment call this anything like a 'definitive' representation of 80s music. On the other hand though, this is the first and only 80s compilation I think I have bought so far which has managed to find space for Jive Bunny's 'Swing The Mood'. Not that it's a particularly good tune or anything, but it's just nice to see it.

I do feel that the rather boastful word 'Ultimate' in the product's title is something of a misnomer. This compilation has a very definite place in any 80s music fan's collection but I would hesitate before recommending it as the ONLY compilation to buy. I'm not just trying to drag everybody else down with me in my addiction to buying these things, but I truly don't think there is any one single collection out there at the moment that can really pin down anything like the 'ultimate' tracks. Although I will admit that owning several dozen of the things (like I do) might be taking things a little bit too far in the other direction. What can I say? I just don't seem to be able to stop myself.

As one of my fellow reviewers has already pointed out, the contents of CD2 were apparently so shameful that Amazon couldn't even bring themselves to list them here. Maybe they were just trying to protect the likes of me from the knowledge that 'Robert De Niro's Waiting' is slap-bang in the middle of it? 'Johnny Come Home' is on there as well, a song that seems to feature on a goodly number of compilation albums but one that never seems to get boring, no matter how many times you hear it.

What doesn't do this collection any favours in my book is the fact that, when I try to play it on my computer, there is no track information whatsoever. Just a whole list of 'Unknown Artists' and various numbers denoting the time it's going to take me to play any or all of these mystery tracks. Which means that I am going to have to sit there and type in all of the relevant details myself. And that sounds rather too much like hard work for my liking.
on 12 January 2014
i got this today and i have played some of them already and there great as i was born in the 80s and as i was growing up my parents used to play them on the old vinly records and i always listened to them now there on cd i can play them all the time
on 9 December 2013
If you're a fan of the 80's you can't go wrong with this CD. 5 cd's in total and this will liven any evening up for those 40 somethings. Better than any of the NOW compilations for that in era in my opinion. Very pleased with this..
on 30 October 2013
yet another great cd from the 80,s of anthems every track is great just like turning back the clock listening to the tracks that i liked,and well worth the money a must for anyone that likes this music.
on 16 October 2013
Yes, still waiting for the perfect 80s album, and I doubt it will ever be made for one reason or another.

Plenty to like but, there are a lot of obvious artists and tracks that have been excluded. Why ? And a good few filler tracks. Why ?

On a more positive note, there some great tracks and many good ones as well. As always, it is down to personal taste, so check out the play list.

A good album that could of been great.
on 26 February 2014
I'm only as far as disc 2 and at least 2 songs on that disc sound like re-recordings to me. Quite a few tracks are not the original single versions either. Wish I hadn't bought this album. Waste of money.