on 25 December 2016
Both the jacket notes and the text repeatedly refer to the "lavish" illustrations. There is not a one! Hugely frustrating, and I feel like I've been short changed. Also, I may have missed something in the blurb but, unless this book is aimed at children, it is written in a rather odd stilted style. Finally, this is suppose to be a history book. Not to provide a bibliography is pretty shabby. Perhaps the biblio went the same way as the missing illustrations?
on 7 January 2018
Although the book has its interesting moments I'm not sure I learnt much that was new. However this is probably because I've read a lot about this period of history over the years. I decided to give it 4 marks because it is a good intro but if you have also read a fair number of books about the Tudor era, I would pass
on 18 January 2018
Informative and accessible, a very useful purchase for anyone interested in this period and what factors influenced women’s lives
on 8 December 2012
At last an author who realises "ordinary women" and their lives are interesting and relatable to the modern woman,they cook , they clean and look after the family whilst working ( sometimes) with/for/instead of (in some cases) Husbands or employers or women without ANY "shortcuts or mechanical " help at all.

You can only wonder at the strength and resiliance of these women for without that you would most definately not be reading this review my only complaint, I wish it was twice as long therefore twice as detailed. Not the usual coffee table fare, skimming across the surface of the subject and just retelling the same well worn facts we all read in leaflets in museums again and again.
Recommended
on 19 June 2014
I'm sorry to have to give a negative review to what should be an excellent and informative book. However, the constant references to illustrations which simply aren't there is very frustrating. I have the paperback edition, not the Kindle, so there is no excuse for this omission. Even the quote on the back cover refers to it's being 'finely illustrated'. Disappointing.
on 29 September 2017
Tudor women were allowed to use their brains. Why did it go so wrong in later periods? Of, course their was hard work and drudgery as well. An absorbing dip into a bygone era.
on 9 October 2012
I love the Tudor era and I did enjoy this book.
It was very informative and written in an easy to read style.
Very good.
Get the cocoa on, get the fire lit and spend Sunday with your feet up and this book
on 29 March 2014
This book was excellent with so much insight to a Tudor household and in particular the role of the Tudor housewife.
It can be 'dipped into' again and again - would not part with it!!
on 21 January 2013
this book has lots of info about how households were run, the kind of education women had, how their daily lives were. Life wasn't quite as bleak domestically as we sometimes imagine.
on 17 May 2014
Arrived quickly and was 'as new'. I really enjoyed this as it gave a real insight to how things really were in Tudor times.