The Trip to Italy [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

VINE VOICETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 29 January 2018
This is certainly good fun, being more of the same re the highly entertaining first series. Whilst Brydon and Coogan are essentially as they were previously, there's a slight change in the chemistry which, whilst as volatile and humourous as before, finds Brydon's 'mojo' waxing as Coogan's wanes, in stark contrast to the first series.

The landscapes are beautiful, and the food looks pretty amazing - but I have the same mixed feelings about such ultra-precious foodie posing - and there are a number of beautiful women on hand to leaven the boyish banter of the central duo a little, and provide some yin to their yang (or is it vice versa?). And of course the ladies also provide opportunities for the boys to have fun disgracing themselves. Only as mentioned before, this time it's Brydon who's the, ahem, coxswain.

As funny as this is, and it's often laugh out loud funny, it didn't quite hold my attention as much as the previous series. Still, it's light-hearted stuff for the most part; it doesn't have to demand too much of the viewer. So dipping in and out of it can still work. Winterbottom and his 'indomitable duo' clearly have a winning formula here. But this second outing is a slightly weaker dose.
on 11 October 2015
If I had a friend like either of these two I would probably end up punching them, as they would irritate me to the point where I would consider ending it all. But together, on a DVD, they are thoroughly amusing and like-able. The scenery is stunning, the dialogue always amusing, the food is simply inspirational and I like the fact that they tell you what each meal costs, which somehow grounds the whole thing in reality for me. Great !
on 24 July 2014
An interesting gastronomic journey around some of the various regions of Italy which my late wife and I have visited over past years.It brought back some fond memories.I think however that the table banter could be varied a bit and the impressions are getting a little repetitively overdone!!
on 21 May 2016
Highly recommended; Coogan and Brydon journey around some of Italy's most stunning scenery, all the while chatting, having gentle impersonation-offs and enjoying beautiful Italian food.
on 20 May 2016
Bit like the curate's egg this one. Not as good as The Trip, but does get much better later in the series. It's entertaining and probably worth seeing if you enjoyed The Trip.
on 16 October 2015
I watched this when it was on TV and had it saved on my Sky box which was viewed another couple of times so when the price of the BD dropped below a tenner I had to get it,fantastic humour and improvisation which I will never tire of watching.
on 19 August 2015
Not sure what the attraction is watching 2 blokes going from restaurant to restaurant having a meal but it works. I love the impressions and at times bitchy banter. It is really well worth watching
on 7 May 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed this! Lovely scenery, very funny. Gives you a feel good feeling when you watch it. Very highly recommended.
on 21 July 2015
watched some of the episodes on TV but missed some as well. Bought because I love Italy and memories of Villa Cimbrone and other fab places.
on 9 December 2014
Inferior to its predecessor.
Role reversal narrative does not work.
Coogan/Brydon double works best when the narrative is ignored.
In conclusion The Trip was probably a one series idea.