Customer reviews

The Two Tone Story
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.12

on 27 December 2012
I read this book in two sittings ,it's obvious the author has great passion for the subject, I loved the book, I would recommend it to anyone who grew up with a love for ska, I was lucky enough to see most of the bands mentioned live as they passed through Scotland and the authors description of the atmosphere and tensions at the shows is as accurate as you'll find anywhere,this book has even more relevance now, the specials and the selecter both touring at the start of next year it's great to see a new generation of people listening to this fantastic music, how good would it be to see madness, specials and selecter all together in 2013 ?, you never know.
2 people found this helpful
on 5 May 2016
Written in crisp, no-nonsense style, this is an accurate summing up of a music and a label that defined an era for some of us. Jerry Dammers and 2-Tone were instrumental in guiding many away from racist far-right ideologies that were prevalent at the time and has never really received the recognition it deserved. And it also made it acceptable for white boys to dance!
on 11 January 2018
The best music genre there is in my humble opinion ....All hail Jerry Dammers & all the group's on the two tone label ...My youth was built around your music
on 1 May 2014
Excellent insight to a very loved past! I was a second time around Mod (too young for the 60s) what a great read and reminiscent of one he'll of an era Never to be forgotten!!! We Are The Mods was the chant of the time! It would be fantastic to revisit that Era!!! MODS FOREVER.
on 23 May 2016
It has all the facts.
on 1 February 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed this book as it brought back so many good memories my youth. I didn't realise how much input Jerry Dammers had in TwoTone. New respect, Jerry!
on 29 January 2013
Nostalga nostalga nostalga and really interesting finding out all the label details, Dammers for King!! great book which makes everything make sense after so many years from my Two Tone rude boy to mod life through 79 to now :)
One person found this helpful
on 18 December 2016
Ok I suppose. I tend to read books about bands and singers long gone, split up or sadly dead. I was in my early teens when the Specials came out but never got into them , two tone or the then trendy in my school, Mod revival. I hated that fashion with a vengeance. I preferred and still do more electronic music. I digress. The book is ok and the author shows a genuine love for the band and it's music, but it's too short. A few more up to date interviews with previous members and not quotes from previous articles would have given it an extra star. Good read, too little too late.
|0Comment|Report abuse
George Marshal's `The Two Tone Story' is essential reading for anyone interested in the good ship Two Tone and all who sailed on her, not just for the accuracy of the story as told by George but also because it is written with the love and perfect understanding of a true fan rather than a journalist giving us a story. The Two Tone Story is not just the story of the bands but also of the badge covered Harrington and Sta' Pressed wearing fans of whom both George and I could claim to be amongst.

Reading this book gives me two stories, the story of a record label ran by a maverick set of musicians on co-operative lines (at least at first; cocaine lines may have eventually de-railed it) but also the story of myself and the gang of friends who hung around the Halton youth club in the early eighties.

The Specials, Madness and The Beat definitely left me Ska'd for life and this book celebrates those heavy days in a way no one whom never wore a black and white cheque button badge could ever understand. The good people at Chrysalis were as impressed as me and included the book in `The Compact Two Tone Story' box set when they first made these beautiful 7" discs of plastic first available on CD. This Are Two Tone; This our Two Tone.
3 people found this helpful
on 28 December 1999
I've been collecting 2 Tone records since first hearing The Prince on Top Of The Pops, and have been trying to get this book for ages. Great to see it published again - and in a square format! It is full of detail on the label and its bands - including TONS of stuff I just didn't know (and I thought I knew a lot about 2 Tone!). So if you love ska, you'll love it!
6 people found this helpful