Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 5 November 2007
This is great - brilliant bright inventive fun! There are fantastic illustrations and a light-hearted original story sprinkled with humorous details to make both children and adult readers chuckle. Look out for the peacocks tail cut into a paper-doll pattern.
A knight and his horse are babysitting a little prince and princess for a weekend but it isn't all that easy! No parent/carer could fail to be amused by the mess and exhaustion at the end of day 1. From this strong start, there's a tale of magic and the mischief caused by an errant naughty spell. The knight and the horse are granted three wishes but don't use them wisely, and my children love the hopeless mix-up as the knight and the horse wish for conflicting things. The horse can think only of fluffy slippers and a bucket of carrots and somehow the knight's har becomes a fantastical mass of carrot vine. The horse, fortunately, is able to style it in a topiary bush but it still isn't ideal! The prince and the princess however come to the rescue and maybe baby-sitting can be quite fun after all.
I am already fan of David Mellings since I first came across his illustration style, and from his stories, these characters are my family's particular favourites. If you enjoy this, you will also love "The Kiss that Missed" and "Good Knight, Sleep Tight". A smasher from a re(g)ally good threesome.
on 18 May 2011
David Melling was a new discovery for me. I bought this book for my two grandchildren aged 5 and 2 and a half. They both really love it and the 5 year old in particular gets all the funny little jokes that are apparent if you look closely into the pictures. It is a great book as a talking point to encourage young children to discuss what they can see and what they think might happen. Highly recommended as is another book by David Melling I have bought..."The kiss that missed".
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 25 January 2015
3.5 stars

The Kiss That Missed and Good Knight Sleep Tight are lovely, easy reads. This we found was a harder read (for me) and more complicated (for him) to follow.

A knight is left to babysit the prince and princess (with his trusty steed). In the middle of this, which he finds quite dull, he finds himself in possession of three wishes. They of course don't go to plan.

I would have quite liked to see more of the babysitting. The knight and horse are great characters, the children didn't get a chance to shine though.

I do love Melling's illustrations, very attractive and humourous.

One for slightly older children than the others, maybe 4-7.
on 21 March 2012
After reading The Kiss That Missed (TKTM) night after night with my daughter, I quickly bought The Three Wishes and Good Knight, Sleep Tight since she'd loved the first so much (and I was getting a bit desperate for a change). Although the illustrations were great as always, the stories were a bit more complicated than TKTM and she wasn't as interested in either of them after the first read. She's 3 so perhaps she'll come to love them when she's a bit older.

I would recommend buying them but perhaps for an older child.
on 4 August 2010
Being big fans of the Scallywags, we had big expectations for the Three wishes and The kiss that missed, both are great bed time stories which are already loved and memorised by my 4 year old son. The illustrations are lovely and the language involves both the readers, good fun reads and we look forward to the new book due out later in the yearThe Kiss That MissedThe Scallywags
on 18 January 2013
This is one of our favourite story books. The illustrations are all part of the cleverness of the story. I have bought these for myself and for others and can recommend them with ease to all.
on 8 April 2013
The story it's very funny, me and my daughter love read this book, over and over again.
same as the other stories of Melling.
on 26 September 2011
The characters and illustrations are fun, quirky and like all David Melling's Knight and his faithful horse tales, they never disappoint, they are never boring. My 4 year old niece absolutely loved it.
on 4 May 2015
My granddaughter loves the two other books, but not this one. Disapointed.
on 28 October 2014
This is a lovely book. Love the plot. Love the illustrations!