on 15 February 2000
Written by a man with a brain as big as a planet, this must be one of the most important esoteric works of the 20th century. It's a difficult read but then we're dealing with a highly abstruse subject - the unified philosophy upon which the whole of Egyptian civilisation, religion, art and architecture was based.
This beautifully-produced two-volume set explains in over 1,000 pages just why ancient Egypt was so much greater than we realise, and how the Egyptians used advanced mathematical and geometrical concepts long before the Greeks.
Makes most of today's New Age offerings look like Noddy and Big Ears Go to Toytown!
Essential reading for any serious student of the Egyptian Mysteries. I recommend reading it in tandem with John Anthony West's Serpent in the Sky, which explains Schwaller's concepts in plain English.
on 9 November 2004
I have to admit, I'm still in the process of studying this book, and it's taken me a good long while to get to where I'm at - about a third of the way through volume one! Nevertheless, the joy I have felt at understanding what is written and the subsequent expansion of my imagination caused by this man's train of thought is a compelling reason to share a few words.
It's strength I believe lies in the immense interest it generates from just a few paragraphs in. I am not an intellectual, and I don't believe (in fact i'm sure it would be a hinderance) that you need to have an exhaustive understanding of everything to get this book, it would very much help to have just a staunch curiosity. Having said that, a little understanding of science- especially physical science- will be a benefit to you.
Furthermore, you can say that ignorance is the lack of consideration (whether voluntary or not) of details in situations, and so this being an attempt to unveil the truths of the Egyptian thinking - we have a lot of details!
Perhaps uniquely for this level of detail is the consideration of the psychology of our deductive scientific processing of phenomena. It effectively remodels our sense of correct thinking with regard to our comprehension of mathematics, truth, and nature, in essence everything. This 'everything' sounds daunting, but if you consider that you carry 'yourself' to every situation whether you consider truth, mathematics, or phenomena in nature, then the emphasis is pretty singular. Being able to receive this instruction to reconstruct a better learning base from these pages, is THE biggest of problems to surmount. This is because as Schwaller himself would say you have to literally become this knowledge, not have the distinction and hence separation of a knower (utilising already existing tools to know) and the known. To put this another way, it is to do with your familiarisation with the process, and your internalisation of it.
It is a real triumph of human progress that a man has achieved this end in such succinct, broad and penetrating language. To have this record of the man's insights, and really the principles of nature is a real treasure. I have loved the journey so far, and i'm sure it will be a huge contributor to my ongoing quest for understanding. So, if like me you treasure a unique perspective and an all encompassing philosophy based on realisable principles then you will enjoy this.
on 29 May 2009
In every respect this is not an ordinary book. As an oversized two volume work in a massive slipcase it announces itself as extraordinary. As an attempt to delve deeply and truthfully into the depths of ancient Kamitic thought it is indespensible. This is the kind of work that excites. Not some dreary arrid exploratory of this remarkable ancient culture as so many books written on the subject are, it challenges orthodoxy by demonstrating at once the high science, philosophy and culture which was a massive contribution to the development of later civilisations. It opens the door on the unicity of so many different academic disciplines expressed with great skill as simultaneous in its application and it glides to the heart of the matter in terms of the development of human achievement. very much this book is about 'Man know thyself'. This to me is the answer to the riddle of god, the universe and our relationship to all those elements.The god that is within us all.
on 5 January 1999
De Lubicz's masterpiece, available for the first time in English, has been giving a beautiful translation and presentation.
While not for the faint of heart, it is required reading for any serious student of esotericism, hermeticism, sacred geometry or ancient Egypt.
In all honesty, I haven't yet finished this two-volume set (it's a massive, dense, thought-requiring work) but it's impossible for me to imagine my opinion changing radically once I do.
Surely, this is one of the most important works of the 20th century.
on 13 February 2014
This was bought as a present for my son who is into esoteric matter and although quite expensive the first feedback I have from him is that this is a monumental tour de force written by a very clever man who has spent a long time researching the subject of Ancient Egypt and worth every penny. Thanx also for very quick delivery from America
on 13 September 2012
I bought this book some four years ago and wonder how it is possible to ever be in a real position to review it. I'd very much like to read Schwaller de Lubicz' own review of his opus. What I can say is that it is a monumental piece of work, mind-expanding, massive, and just in case there is life after death, please could my family bury me with this close by.
It is also a stunning work of translation. Deepest thanks are owed to their skill and dedication.
on 2 May 2014
This is an impesssive looking book, and the content is as impressive as the physical two volume book. Normally I sit on the other side of the table from some of what Schwaller De Lubicz writes, but it is very clear that he is no lightweight poser or even outright charlatan that these days infests the study and interpretation of Ancient Egypt. The author is highly intelligent and has put much thought into this book, and he has made a genuine attempt to get inside the minds of Ancient Egyptians and make sense of them. Whether or not anybody agrees or disagrees with his findings, in whole or in part, and I agree in part, his honesty, his obvious belief in what he writes has to be admired. I gave five stars not because I agree with him, for in many areas I do not, but because this really is a fantastic book, and he does raise some questions that are not addressed by conventional Egyptology. There is, as is human nature, a certain pompous stuffyness with some conventional Egyptologists and, it is sad to say, true that some have closed minds or an inability to see beyond dry facts. Now, facts are important, otherwise we become overwhelmed by nonsense about "ancient aliens", "banned history" and any number of bizarre theories about pyramids. However, what is sometimes lacking is a rational attempt to get inside the minds of people long dead. This book provides that. Now, some honesty from me, I have a double meaning in the title of my review. I certainly do think that skeptics etc should be prepared to "think outside the box", but this book, magnificent as it is, is, rather unfortunately, a template for the miriad fringe books about Ancient Egypt that have appeared in the decades since Schwaller De Lubicz's days. He, I am convinced, is no charlatan whatsoever, but the way he has presented his ideas in this book have been copied, badly, by the modern day charlatans who pad out their miserable tomes with endless geometric illustrations and page after page of bogus formulae, all in an attempt to bambozzle the the unwise into thinking they are being presented with facts or some great revelation. Skeptics should read this book so they can see where these lightweight charlatans have stolen their ideas of presentation, and can then be better prepared to counter the fringe nonsense, and also to see that not all ideas that they see as counter factual are nonsense. We can measure and disect the physical remains of Ancient Egypt ad infinitum, but these remains were first created in the minds of the Ancient Egyptians, and so try to understand their minds needs a bit more than a slide rule and a book of Ancient Egyptian grammar. Schwaller De Lubicz has made a very good attempt to understand the minds of those long dead.
on 16 October 2016
Need a degree in English literature to read it . Having to look up words for every other word . Too difficult to read .