on 14 April 2016
This is one of many books by Michael Jecks that I have read, and I have enjoyed them all enormously. That said this is the first one that I have struggled to read, I don't know why, it's just not holding my attention. Maybe I need a change of direction in my reading for a while, sometimes you just need a change. The one thing that is for sure, I will be back to read more of his books.
on 9 July 2017
Although I have always enjoyed all the books in this series this is the first that tie's all the different aspects of the story into a spiders Web or maybe a noose
on 18 May 2017
Different from the others in the series but this don't take away any enjoyment from the read.
on 3 June 2017
Great read
on 6 August 2017
great read
on 14 April 2017
Possibly not the best place to start in the series, but when you get to it in sequence, it's an outstanding historical novel that is well worth the wait. Full review at classicmystery.wordpress.com
Michael Jecks gave up a career in the computer industry to concentrate on writing and the study of medieval history, especially that of Devon and Cornwall. He and his wife and daughter now live in northern Dartmoor. Virtually all of his books take place in or around where he lives. His Templar series featuring Sir Baldwin de Furnshill has been a tremendous success.

I have always been a fan of the author's Templar series, even though one or two of the more recent ones have not captured my imagination as much as the earlier books. For me personally, this seems to revolve around books that take Sir Baldwin away from his home in the West Country. The Templar's Penance and the Outlaws of Ennor being to such books. Michael Jecks has written twenty four books in the series in little more than a decade and with a new one due in 2008 he is about to hit the quarter century. Most of these books have given me a great deal of reading pleasure and for that i am grateful.

One again the author has transported Sir Baldwin from his beloved West Country. This time to the Streets of Paris on a royal mission. A mission that suddenly goes horribly wrong. Isabella, Queen of England has travelled to France in a forlorn hope that her presence may bring peace between the two nations.

Baldwin has travelled with the Royal party, even though a return to Paris, the city from which many of his fellow Templar knights escaped, while others were captured and brutally persecuted and murdered by the French King leaves a raw wound in his heart. Hardly has he set foot on the streets of the city, before he is embroiled in a plot to discredit the Roual party. His own dagger is found lying by the body of a murdered servant and though he has acquired many skills regarding the law, while carrying out his duty as Keeper of the King's Peace, Baldwin is at a loss how to clear his own name and more importantly the slur on the Royal party.

Although Michael Jecks has taken Sir Baldwin out of the West Country again, I enjoyed this book very much and can't wait for the new one in 2008.
on 26 May 2009
As I flicked through the first few pages/chapters and speed-read a little (bad habit of mine!) I did wonder at first if I was going to like this as much as the others.

There seemed so many threads, so many extra characters, I was wondering (a) if we'd get to see much of Baldwin and Simon and (b) if I'd be interested in and be able to keep track of all the different alleyways and side-stories and back-stories of the book.

I needn't have worried, as they all converged nicely alongside and yes, our heroes were in a good prominence (although, I do have to say, maybe not *quite* as much as in the books set in Devon..)

A pacey tale, with all the glorious details of early 14thC life set out with such loving knowledge, it was a pleasure to read, as ever. Everything ties up well and credibly, and there's always room for a few surprises and twists at the end. Quality!

Paris in it's early years was interesting, although I shared our hero's desire to get back to good old Blighty as soon as possible!