Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 February 2009
I picked this book up in a secondhand hand shop thinking it might be worth a browse, but once I started reading it I was hooked. The basic framework is interviews with 9 children - perhaps "interviews" is not really the right word, rather the author spends a lot of time with each child and describes their life and views, often using their own words, but she also has a great gift for capturing different children's speech patterns in her own writing without it seeming self-conscious or patronising. I found it interesting to read about the lives of a diverse group of British children and also quite heartwarming. Each chapter/child is also used to illuminate various issues around childhood - theories from the history of childhood or child psychology as well as looking at popular perceptions of modern childhood. Overall a very readable, warm-hearted and intelligent book.
on 18 August 2007
On the essential reading list for my uni course, this book allows us a snapshot into the lives of a range of children and young people, and relates the children's experiences to policies, and sociological perspectives.Includes discussion on issues such as moral panic and youth cultures, as well as healthly eating etc. A good read.
on 17 January 2009
A fantastic collection of nine case studies of modern youth in all its forms, from a teenage mother to a public schoolboy. Brooks spends several months with each child, aged between 4 and 16 years old, reporting honestly and candidly on their day-to-day lives, friendships, education, family dynamics and interests. Entwined within each of these case studies are explorations of issues affecting children today, from school dinners to street safety, sex education to consumerism, based on historical, sociological and psychological investigation. Compelling and thought provoking.
on 27 September 2009
I bought this book to read before I started my teaching course at University. It gives you an insight into the different lifestyles and upbringings of children today and the problems they may be facing. It really makes you think and has definitely aided me in my studies and placement.
on 1 November 2010
This funny book is both insightful and revealing. It paints a real picture of growing up in the UK today, linking children's views on life with educational theorists and childhood studies along the way. Useful for anyone taking the Foundation Degree in Early Years - a lighter way to find out about children growing up.
on 11 August 2008
I'd been considering studying Childhood and Youth Studies with the Open University and decided to give this book a go as a brief insight into the concept of childhood. I found this book gripping, insightful and was often amazed at some of the facts presented in this book. The author brings together a range of ideas outlined in the likes of other books such as Neil Postman's 'The Disappearance of Childhood' and ultimately it is left to the reader to draw their own conclusions. A fantastic look at the changing face of childhood.
on 24 June 2014
Dated, but a really interesting read and not your usual childhood book. Makes you think, which is always a good thing.
on 26 January 2007
When I picked this book from the 'new book' area at my university library, I didn't know what to expect. I don't know any British kids, lol. But overall, it was a delightful read, it really made me think about why I miss my own childhood & if it were truly as simple as I try to convince myself.
on 28 August 2013
Irrespective of whether or not I like the actual book (I don't) I ordered a second hand copy that said it was in good condition and it was acceptable at best! Considering it was still £3 if you're going to buy it you may as well pay £6 and get a new copy.
on 27 July 2014
excellent goods and delivery thank you