on 10 August 2017
I love this series of books, read them all as a kid and revisiting them now is great. Read the lot and in order.
on 15 September 2017
Outstanding yarn, simple and ageless. Easy reading and from a time when we didn't require too much tech and yet another film spin off.
on 8 August 2017
re-visiting an old friend, Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat, is a loveable rogue. Good price
on 17 May 2017
perfect
on 10 August 2017
on 27 December 2013
An enjoyable adventure story. Like most old sci-fi it's a little dated, but well written and kept me interested until the end. I'll be looking out for this authors other books.
on 10 March 2013
This was the first book I ever read and I enjoyed then and I still enjoyed now that I'm an adult
on 29 August 2012
When Harry Harrison died recently, I decided that I really ought to reacquaint myself with his most famous creation, Slippery Jim diGriz, AKA The Stainless Steel Rat. I actually first came upon the character while reading 2000AD in which the excellent Carlos Ezquerra rendered Jim in the style of James Coburn. That version remained with me when I decided to try the written stories and, some 25 years on, re-reading this introduction to Harrison's series, Slippery Jim is still a grizzled, long-faced, blond cigar-chewer.

The first in the series was written back in 1961, before mobile phones, before tablets, desktop computers and the internet and before Armstrong (RiP) took his first small step: there are a few anachronisms that are bound to flummox younger readers (photographing onto "a roll of film" whatever that might be, for instance) but by and large it's aged extremely well.

It is pretty much classic space opera sci-fi from a byegone era; the adventures of a hardened, wiseguy space-crim, written in Harrison's distinctive, satirical style. That semi-humorous voice lightens the mood of the story (which is actually quite lighweight already) but it does get a little irritating in places. I can barely remember how many of the multitudinous sequels I read back in the day, let alone how the style and characters developed, so it will be an interesting journey...

The next in the series is, chronologically speaking, The stainless steel rat's revenge, but there are a couple of prequels to read first: A Stainless Steel Rat Is Born and The Stainless Steel Rat Gets Drafted.

For a first outing though, this is an enjoyable, if slightly clunky adventure, suitable for kids, young adults and for the young at heart. I'm surprised it never made the big screen...
33 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 June 2014
Trying to get my son into reading, I loved this as a child, and re-read it again as an old, (40 yrs) so that my son and I could talk about it, and it isn't quite as good as I remembered it, I am sure a child would enjoy it.

Not for the die hard sci-fi enthusiasts
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 April 2015
Good to read again after so many years!
Doesn't time travel well, though.