Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 September 2013
In my opinion this book is an essential for any social work student about to embark on a social work dissertation. Before I started reading this book I found the term Dissertation scary and a totally foreign concept. The text is structured in a way that eases the reader in to each concept in a light and easy to understand manner. The language used in this book is excellent, it is easy to understand and has avoided using jargon and anachronism. When the writer has used language that may not be seen or heard every day they have explained there meaning and interpretation of it. On completing the book I found my self confident and ready to embark on my social work dissertation and I would recommend this book to many other social work students.

I found the examples of dissertations very useful in helping to pick my own subject and what is expected of a dissertation title. The tables in Chapter 2 are particularly useful in having a visual aid to help with understanding.
on 21 September 2013
As a third year Social Work BSc student, I am embarking on my first research project and have found Malcolm Carey's guide on The Social Work Dissertation to be a clear and practical guide.

Formulating a research question can be convoluted and this book provides valuable information on the process. The book provides examples of research questions and gives advice as to how to approach this process. It clearly sets out the key concepts in social work research such as qualitative, quantitative and literature based research and provides a critical review of the different types of theory and methodology which can be utilised. The expectations of tutors for my level are clearly laid out together with the type of skills required in order to produce a good dissertation. I particularly like how Chapter two clearly breaks down the structure of the dissertation as this provides you with a solid guide to work from.

This book also covers the research proposal and gives clear guidance on research ethics. It provides information on how to carry out a literature review, how to analyse the data uncovered and how to write up the dissertation and disseminate the findings. It is a fantastic resource for social work students who are undertaking their first research project.
on 22 August 2015
Not a novel but reference & therefore, 'll continue to be in use. A very good guide - having taken a break from serious academic work for 27 years!
on 2 April 2016
Very happy uni student when she was given this has helped her alot
on 1 May 2014
Absolutely nothing wrong with the product. However unfortunately I will not be doing research for my dissertation therefore it is not applicable for my course. Would recommend others to check this with their course leaders before purchasing.
on 24 February 2016