on 23 February 2014
Made me feel like I'm really not the only saddo sitting drinking wine on my own!
It's a habit I got into as a single mother once my daughter had gone to bed (out of boredom really) and now I don't do it anymore, I've found all sorts of sides to myself I'd forgotten about.
This is a wonderful companion to jumping off the wine train.
on 8 September 2013
This book is written from the heart. I love the way it addresses the issues around womens relationship with alcohol, and how we are encouraged to view drinking through romantic eyes, (the descriptions of 'convivial' afternoons sipping cold wine in beer garden) etc., and how we are made to feel unsophisticated or a bit of a dweeb for sticking to lime and soda. It does in fact open your eyes to how unsophisticated and idiotic spending an afternoon this way is, and how it encourages you to imagine these people's boozy afternoons probably not ending up very well, and how they will feel next morning. It is non preachy, and acknowledges that the initial stages of giving up can be difficult. I like the Jason Vale book, everything he says about booze is so true, but find in places he has oversimplified what really is quite a complex issue, as if giving up drinking is easy than the UK would not have the problems with this substance that it has, thousands of people would give up drinking tomorrow for all the right reasons, but continue to punish themselves with drink, often knowing that they will feel ill later, ring in sick to work the next day again, cant really afford to drink, hate the person they become after drinking, look awful, etc., I find this book realistic in its approach and non-patronising, it puts over the point of how stupid a pastime drinking is, but at the same time addresses the fact that giving up drinking is for some a huge challenge, and at first feels like an uncomfortable choice, after perhaps decades of drinking which has included good times as well as bad, well done Sarah and Lucy for kicking off the most amazing revolution, and helping me to join in! I would say using Jason's book and this one together could be a recipe for a successful non-drinking brighter future.
on 6 September 2013
I know I've been struggling with alcohol dependency for years. This book is inspiring and non-judgemental. It covers lots of different 'types' of heavy drinkers and makes you feel positive about living alcohol free.
on 21 August 2013
Highly recommended reading for anyone who is worried about their drinking and knows they need to stop. Sobriety
is presented as a joyful choice rather than a miserable 'necessity.' A generous, uplifting book.
on 19 August 2013
Written by two women with personal experience of the damage alcohol can do in our lives I found it insightful, honest,easy to read and a real encouragement.
on 13 January 2014
This book has completely changed my attitude towards alcohol!! Please read this book, you will not regret it!! It's changing my life!!
on 5 April 2014
This book has been written from the heart. It is down to earth, realistic and written in a 'British' style that is refreshing. The author's write from personal experiences and that of others that they have helped to a life free from the prison of alcohol.

The book includes a number of case studies and a description of the different types of drinker along the path from 'binge drinker' to 'heavily dependent drinker'. With these case studies and descriptions, I am sure all drinkers will see a reflection of themselves at some point when reading the book.

Although written from a woman's perspective, the book is also very relevant to men.

This is a must read for anyone concerned about their drinking habits and should be prescribed by the NHS to help patients with an alcohol dependence.
on 31 July 2013
20 years of self harm (alcohol abuse) later, and here I am, a 41 year old mum, full of hope that a new, better, fuller, fun life is waiting for me.
Packed with true life advice, top tips, and honest talking about the effects of alcohol on your self esteem, this book could change your life. IF you follow it through and don't let 'Mr Unsuitable' (the demon drink), back in.
Best book I have read (and I have read many), on how to get back in control of your life, and live it to the full. It's not too late. Or too scary at all...
on 2 February 2014
My only criticism of this book, and its "sister" The Sober Revolution, is that anyone, not just women, can use it to help them through on a day-by-day basis when first stopping drinking. I connected very well with the plan and actually enjoyed the process of quitting alcohol with it!
This, along with the hypnosis tracks from Craig Beck's "Alcohol Lied to Me" have so far kept me booze-free for a full month. Believe me, that's the longest I've spent sober since I was 18, and I intend to stay this way!
on 10 September 2013
There are some tips and ideas to help you see that glass of wine in a different light. There are also a number of case studies that you may relate to. The book is a spin off of the Soberistas web site and the mind set it is encouraging is a great way of viewing your relationship with alcohol.