Customer reviews

The Smelly Sprout
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.58

on 3 December 2016
Got for my daughter, well for her elf friend to bring with him whilst he's staying over the Christmas period to try to get her to read it to him therefore hopefully improving her reading skills
on 29 April 2015
Not a great story, quite disappointing after the Silly Satsuma and Bonkers Banana stories, oh well, cant win every time Allan!
on 27 April 2017
Nice book for children
on 21 September 2010
This story is about a little sprout that no one wants to eat. Everyone thinks it is smelly and tastes horrible. Poor old sprout! It is a gentle but very funny story that my two children 4 and 7 really enjoyed. It is a short 5 mins or so story that my older one could practise her reading skills. There are lots of lovely colourful pictures.

We really enjoyed this story. An ideal read for Christmas and to encourage your children to eat their greens as well as thinking about not hurting anyones/sprouts feelings.
VINE VOICEon 27 November 2009
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a really adorable and original book. It's nicely made, presented as a small, square, shiny hardback with thick, glossy, bright pages inside. The words are written in a thick, bold, handwriting-style font which is very appealing, and the pictures are clear and colourful without being too simple or too fussy.

The plot is really sweet and follows a small sprout who is disliked by everyone, but just wants to find a place to belong. He walks through the snow on Christmas Day evening and encounters a few different characters before finding a friend and having a small adventure. It is a charming story.

What really makes the book special for me though is the lovely way in which the sprout's facial expressions are drawn. They are so cute and the sprout really experiences the full range of emotions from terrified to sad to blissed out to ecstatic!

The book is also good for children who like to participate as there is a repetitive phrase used: Out, Smelly Sprout! It is written in larger font so kids will be able to identify it.

I think this is a lovely story for children aged four and above, though they would probably need to be around 6 and a half or 7 before they could read it for themselves.

A little warning: there is a slightly traumatic part of the book which I will now tell you about so that you are prepared in case you think your children won't like this! *****SPOILER***** The sprout does get eaten in the end! He is happy about it, but kids who've become attached to him might find it a little upsetting! ****END OF SPOILER****

All in all this is a really nice book that I'd recommend, and if your kids don't like to eat their vegetables this might just persuade them differently!
on 26 November 2009
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Sprouts are unloved both by adults and children, and it seems also by Christmas trees, snowmen and foxes. A seasonal cooking ingredient, the sprout only gets attention during Christmas time. This tale starts with the cooking of the Christmas dinner and ends with the sprout being eaten - at its behest, may I add.

The Smelly Sprout is a short story about being unloved, about being judged on appearances without ever being tried and tasted. But for every creature suffering from such preconceptions salvation is at hand, even for unjustly maligned sprouts.

Easy to read, or to be read, the story is well illustrated with simple drawings conveying the strong emotions of each subject. It is easy to follow for pre-school children, and the sprouts we had in our fridge now get a bit more of their sympathy. Published in a handy hardcover format that is both hardy and sized for childrens' hands, the book has benefited form a superior quality of paper and print. A bargain for its price.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 December 2009
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My daughter calls this the Silly, Smelly Sprout and we both love this book.

The book is hardback and quite small, not much bigger than our coasters in fact. So ideal for 1 adult and 1 child to read but difficult if you are aiming to read it to more than one child at a time.

The silly sense of humour in the book definitely appeals to young children and adults who don't take themselves too seriously. There is quite a lot of text for a small book so I only read out key points as my daughter is not quite 3. She loves shouting out pooh, smelly sprout which she thinks is hilarious - as wit most children of that age. I think she understands more than the humour though and she emulates feeling sorry for the sprout and then happy at the end.

The colour, cartoony pictures generously fill every page and they are fun to look at.

I would say this is an excellent stocking filler for Christmas.

Luckily I don't need to use the book to convince my daughter to eat her sprouts a she loves all her veg anyway!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 30 November 2009
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The size and quality of this book is well worth the price and a wonderful stocking filler. I read this with and along with my grand children and they laughed and sighed at the poor exploits of this sad unloved Smelly Sprout. They all screamed together the 'Out Smelly Sprout Out' which made it a joy to read together.

I like sprouts, I didn't as a child but I love the taste and I mentioned this to my grand children and they asked was this the reason why, because it was so unloved. I love it when they use their imagination.

They were surprised that snowmen, foxes and even Christmas trees didn't like them and that they were unkind to The Smelly Sprout. It made them have a better understanding for the poor little underdog. They were so glad it had an happy ending and made me read it repeatedly in the first day we got it.

A truly wonderful little book that expands their understanding and imagination combined.
on 26 November 2009
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book is a nice antedote to the usual Christmas fayre. Its not religious, doesn't over-extend itself in order to be politically correct, and though it does make a bit of a point about 'identity', it doesnt have a overwhelming 'message' that spoils the story. Its aimed at children, but isn't patronising or condecending whilst making its little bit of a point.

Overall, its a very short, simple story thats great to be read to younger ones, and read by older children; or adults like me! I'd have no hesitation in buying or recommending this for anyone!
VINE VOICEon 18 March 2010
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My son loves this book (he's 4). The smelly sprout tries to find a home. My son loved the repetition (another of his favourite books that uses the same trick is "We're going on a bear hunt" by Helen Oxenbury).

The illustrations are colourful and fill the pages. The ending (when the sprout gets eaten by a mouse) came as a bit of a shock to me, but my son thought it was funny. It hasn't persuaded him to eat his sprouts though!