Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 March 2016
I am an enthusiast so far as David Constantine's short stories are concerned. Having first read 'Tea at the Midland' I went on to download this collection. It completely met my expectations. Mostly dark and dealing with troubled and tormented souls he describes and dissects his characters with impressive skill. Many of them are deeply flawed men and women and yet, in the majority of them, is a nobility, and in some great courage.
Constantine's writing is dense and demanding at times. Yet the effort required to understand what he puts across is absolutely worthwhile.
on 16 January 2013
A gift from a friend, I read this in the summer of 2012.

Although Constantine's writing is dense, his characters are sympathetic, and his narratives - with a couple of exceptions - strong. In an otherwise serious collection, my favourite story, concerning a vicar in a rural parish (although that barely describes it), was the most comic.

I bought some more of his work on the strength of this collection. A lovely writer who makes reading a pleasure.
on 17 December 2011
I have not read the book above, but I have read much of David Constantine's poetry translations and found them to be beautiful, so I fail to believe any work of his could be worth one star. I have to assume the one star review was done out of proportion and without due consideration that a work of literature deserves, so I am adding a 5 star review to balance it.
I am also really grateful to DC for translating Holderlin. What a wonderful job he did on that - if you can find his Holderlin translatons, get them!
on 6 April 2011
Constantine won the BBC short story prize 2011 so I expected a high standard. I was disappointed. He is not for me.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse