Customer reviews

The Shelter: Volume 1 (The Harry Stammers Series)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 July 2014
For a first novel this was mightily impressive. The more I read, the more it became a real page-turner, the kind that makes you grumpy if you get interrupted or have to go to work/sleep, or cook or go shopping.

The character development was essentially believable, with Harry especially endearing (probably because of his crankiness). The interplay between 1944 and 2004 worked persuasively; and although you could sense quite early where the plot line was heading, there were enough twists and turns to make sure you could never be sure..

It left me with a duality of feeling: impatience for the next two in the trilogy, yet anxiety as to whether they can reach the same standard. I am willing to have a punt that they will, and will be ordering both as soon as they are available.
2 people found this helpful
on 19 October 2017
Can honestly say this book has kept me fascinated up to the last pages, including the epilogue written by the author. Well done Andy.
on 13 October 2014
Held my interest from the start. Well rounded characters I could believe in, and a great story line across the decades. I love being able to link actual historical events with the story, and the way this brought in Bletchley Park, Second World War events, and the impact they had on the present day characters meant I couldn't put this down until I'd finished. Love the museum curator being the hero. I need more of his adventures!
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 1 January 2015
I enjoyed reading this book very much. A set of entirely believable characters and an intriguing plot combine to make it a great read. Andy Mellet-Brown has combined a great imagination with sound research to create a read that I found hard to put down. The plot develops at just the right pace and you feel like you almost know the characters, particularly Harry Stammers. I was on the edge of my seat as the story reached its exciting climax even reading it on a hungover new year's day! I definitely recommend this book and can't wait to read the rest of the trilogy...
on 14 April 2018
A very good read
on 7 August 2014
I really enjoyed this book. The writing style and historical content mixed in with the intrigue and tension made it a real page turner. I don't want to give away the ending, but the imagery and pace of the final chapters were fantastic.
on 3 August 2017
Couldn't put this book down. Great read.
on 9 July 2016
I loved the mix of modern day and 2nd world war mystery. The characters were well written and I hope Harry and Ellen stay together. I really could not put this down. Well done Andy keep writing.
on 19 August 2014
Well researched. Likeable and we'll developed characters. An easy read with a good story and some additional interest being provided by the parallel development of the events in 'current' time and in 1944. I look forward to the next book in the trilogy.
on 9 March 2015
Believable characters, atmospheric settings and compelling, entwining story lines. The ending was exciting and the plot twists unravelled, but it still provided an intriguing taste of what's to come next.