Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Tom Chaplin Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now

Customer reviews

The Shaman in Stilettos
Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 March 2017
Beautifully and surprisingly funny. A couple of short chapters in, when Anna gets to Peru the story comes alive and it becomes impossible to put the book down... Interestingly, it almost seems that when the author wrote the book she couldn't fully relate to the person she had been before her journey began. So I found myself having less sympathy for the character at the beginning of the book, but strangely, and this is what makes it interesting, this adds to the integrity of her journey.

A delicately and honestly written easy read that gives some real insight into the whole scene (which some people in the scene may find a little uncomfortable). Naturally I've tried looking the gorgeous Maximo up on Google (I just wanted to see a pic of this impossibly handsome man!) but to no avail.. I think she must have changed his name, which is probably very sensible.. I wouldn't be brave enough to do what Anna has done, nor would I want it to be my journey. However, it has inspired me to focus on my own journey and from that perspective alone it is fully worth while.
VINE VOICEon 16 June 2014
Marketed as the UK's answer to Eat Pray Love but it's not really in the same league. For me there was too much gasping, rolling of eyes and gleaming pecs for what is actually a detailed and interesting view into life with a shaman in Peru. As a long time shamanic student I certainly learned quite a bit from the book, but was a bit disappointed that it was packaged as a chick lit book. This may not have been something the author had any control over. I recently read Ross Heaven's Drinking The Four Winds - a Shamanic Love Story and for a serious student of shamanism I feel his book is better; but you'll certainly learn quite a bit about shamanism and the healing plants reading this one.
on 12 March 2014
The book flips from being a chick flick to a good biography. I got bored within a few chapters and tried a few times to carry on but just couldn't.
on 20 September 2017
An interesting read but a little repetitive in places - it does make me want to visit Peru though!
on 18 October 2012
Truly lovely book, initially I didn't realise it was non-fiction as I was entirely absorbed in a way that previously I only have been with imaginary tales, a really eye-opening and inspiring book. Opens up your mind to previously hidden emotions and thoughts and challenges you to embrace the present. Have since met Anna Hunt who is just as lovely in real life as you would imagine and have no began a healing journey with her. Couldn't recommend this enough, regardless of personal opinions on spirituality and shamanism, this book can be enjoyed by everyon
on 31 October 2013
Interesting read but can't quite make out what I think of it. Read if you are in anyway spiritual and want to delve into other worlds.
on 20 June 2012
This is one of the best books I've read. Ever. What an incredible journey Anna Hunt took when she went to Peru. I'm completely envious and in awe of what she did. The book is well written, captivating even and was hard to put down. This book was so good I didn't want it to end and now that it has I find I'm missing it. This book had quite a profound effect on me and has made me re-think a lot of things I took for granted.
Can't recommend this book enough. Read it and savour, you won't regret it!
on 17 November 2015
The scepticism and logic that the writer was struggling with made the story all the more believable. The discriptive language brought back some happy memories of my time in Peru
on 24 December 2014
I was looking forward to reading this as I thought it would be the story of spiritual discovery with some level of intelligence. Instead, I found myself raising my eyes to the heavens as it just turned out to be chick lit with a gloss of spirituality. The author's main goal seemed to be getting her mentor between the sack and wanting his sole attention, much like a petulant, sulky child. Although the 'relationship' is not consummated until the end, this book is more in keeping with the 50 Shades genre, focussing more on the writers attraction to her egotistical teacher. What she learns on the way is treated more as an aside to the main focus of her attraction to the shaman. Mind, body, soul this certainly isn't! If you want to learn about shamanism and spirituality, avoid this book. It does not deliver.
on 5 May 2015
If you like Penny Vincenzi or the Daily Mail, you’ll probably love this book. It serves a purpose in bridging the gap between people with ‘glamorous’ jobs and Spirit. This way of life that she talks of should not be something we seek when we’re burnt out but something we incorporate into our daily lives. We are spiritual beings having a human experience. Yet, the author breezes through this book, she is often judgemental, arrogant and flippant and it reads like a light-hearted, glitzy jungle romance for the younger generation – devoid of real depth and soul.

However, if she really is bridging said gap, the book is serving a decent purpose, however cringe-worthy it is to read. If you are new to reading books about spirituality I am sure you will be guided towards exactly what you need at the right time. If you are drawn towards this and enjoy it, that’s great. But her arrogance and judgemental attitude trouble me, she seems far too impatient and lacking in compassion. I have found the Shamans I’ve met or whose books I have read, to be deeply humble and so I imagine that this lady has a lot to learn still. So read it if you are drawn to it and you will find enjoyable moments in there – and I hope that you take this to be only a first small step in a beautiful journey for your spirit.

If you have taken a few more steps along your path of spirit, and you are wondering if this is a little too gimmicky and you want to find something with depth, with true heart, I would say do listen to your intuition and don’t buy this book. Flick through it in a bookshop if you wish – it’s a quick read. And wherever you are on your journey, I wish you well.