on 24 April 2014
After reading some of the other reviews on here, I thought I'd share my own take on the book.
First - if you're looking for a serious monograph on who Shakespeare was or a commentary on the Elizabethan/Jacobean stage, this is NOT the book for you. It is a NOVEL!
I didn't notice some of the 'glaring' problems with the story, it is a bit over-descriptive so that it's sometimes hard to figure out what is going on, but I found it very enjoyable, but again I reiterate, this is not a scholarly work, it's just for fun.
on 30 April 2018
A fabulous story, beautifully researched, would make a great film.
VINE VOICEon 1 June 2014
I bought this as a holiday read, and it was deeply disappointing. I can only assume the publishers thought it was going to be the next Da Vinci Code. Sadly not. If you want that kind of high octane page turning thriller then try JF Penn's 'Pentecost'.
on 20 February 2015
Very intense and too much running around without achieving much other than historical Shakespearian references. Gets easier to follow and less historical as you approach the end.
on 2 October 2016
read both books scarly brilliant
on 3 February 2013
I'm struggling with this - had it a few months and still haven't got past the first few pages. Don't know if I ever will. I'm glad I bought second hand. As far as the paper goes, it was in good condition for the money and arrived in good time. The content's not very good, though.
on 17 October 2015
This was recommended by a friend and whilst it was enjoyable enough, it hasn't made my Top 10 reads of 2015!
on 11 April 2013
Starts quite well but far too complicated and contrived a storyline. Written by someone showing off her knowledge of Shakespeare.
on 24 March 2010
To begin at the beginning. Dan Brown! There are those who compare Carell to Brown. This is unfair. Brown cannot write a single coherent sentence. His books are daft boring and fail to entertain ; being loaded, as they are, with a mass of pretentious piffle that masquerades as fact.

Carrell has a pedestrian writing style - as do for example Faye Kellerman and Karin Slaughter - but, as with those two authors, the deficiencies of the writing style are made up for by the contents of the novel. These are so entertaining that the writing style ceases to grate and is soon forgotten. Carrell introduces the reader, painlessly and enjoyably, to a wide range of fascinating information - and theorising- about Shakespeare.

As she is an academic this is all sound stuff,and not Dan Brownesque dross. (Indeed I was so taken by what I had read here that I went out and purchased a copy of Ackroyd's biography of the bard and have been dipping into other items of Shakesperiana ever since.) To be sure she is no great shakes (yes- pun intended!) of a stylist and the plot is not brilliant but it is hugely enjoyable.

It is intended to entertain and this it does - magnificently. If you want to feed the mind read Graham Greene or Dostoyevsky or tuck into Wittgenstein for God's sake. But if you are in the mood for some light entertainment this book is for you.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 30 April 2009
I have yet to find one of these 'conspiracy' books that bored me as much as this one did. A whole cast of people - many with the same name and much jumping back and forth in time but with nothing properly explained.

This book did not enthral me at all. I just did not care about the characters or who wrote shakespeare or anything to do with this book.

My recommendation is to read shakespeare instead of this drivel.
One person found this helpful