Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 June 2004
This is the same book as 'Secret dreamworld of a shopaholic'
(Although still absolutely hysterical!)
33 comments| 221 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 October 2005
I had heard many great things about the 'SHOPAHOLIC' series but for some reason put off reading it. I think that maybe the title put me off a little bit, thinking that it was more of a diary that an actual story. Finally, after ages of hearing about how great the series was I borrowed 'CONFESSIONS' from a friend and boy was I glad that I did! This has got to be one of the funniest books that I have ever read! Becky Bloomwood is hilarious and I can completely relate to her irrepressible urge to buy whatever is put in her path! Immediately after reading 'CONFESSIONS' I went out and purchased it (so that I could have a copy of my own) and the following two books in the series and I devoured those too. The 'SHOPAHOLIC' series has skyrocketed to the top of my favorite series list and Kinsella is now a "must read" author for me. If you haven't yet read any of this series GO OUT AND GET IT TODAY, you will not be disappointed!
on 11 March 2001
In one word, wow! I love this book - it's amazing. Becky is a qualified journalist in a job she hates (a mag called 'Successful Saving' - say no more) and has a huge problem in that she can't stop spending - she is infact a shopaholic! To make matters worse, she really can't afford to be shop so much, and the excuses she comes up with to avoid meeting the bank manager are hilarious! She just seems incapable of accepting responsiblity, growing up, and finding love. This book had me hooked. I read all 320 pages within 3 days - i just couldn't put it down. Literally! I would recomend this book to ANYONE who loves shopping, comedy, and books with an unexpected romantic twist to them.
on 7 January 2004
I dont know where to begin with this book, Its about Becky a girl who loves to shop, and does shop, all the time !!
Its so funny, I laughed till I cryed, but only because I can so relate to her justifications of buying things. Once you have read the book you will realise that there is a bit of a Becky in all of us.
I bought it for 2 of my girly friends for Christmas who have both already read it and loved it as much as I did.
We would all highly reccommend it.
on 12 June 2006
Do you love to shop? Do you sometimes get an obsession to get the latest look? Well, Becky Bloomswood does just that! She stars as the main character in the shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella.She stars as the main character in the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella. The books are about a young woman who is obsessed with shopping and will spend all her time and money on shopping!

Becky encounters a whirlwind of events and finally realises that her spending is getting out of control. Becky has been slacking on her job, getting deeper and deeper into debt from her outrageous spending, things just couldn't get any worse for her, that is until Mr Luke Brandon comes along and she immediately falls for him which causes even more events to spiral out of control...

Will all her problems be solved? Will she find true love with Luke Brandon?

This book is for all females and is aimed at teenagers and adults. With its humour and realistic storyline you just can not put the book down! Overall, I think this is a great read and I really recommend you read it!
on 3 March 2002
This is a real giggle out loud book. Great if you want a fun, escapist read on a miserable day. The heroine is ditzy and well meaning, and constantly deceives herself in the way we all do about overspending, and the financial scrapes she gets herself into are mad, but in places scarily believable. Although the story itself is eminently readable, the facsimile letters from the banks, credit card companies and stores are the funniest bit, and we find out even more about the heroine, Becky, from them.
All in all, this isn't the book for you if you're wanting great emotional depth and all that, but if you want to be entertained and made to smile, it's just the thing.
on 6 January 2006
wow! i could not put this book down. i'm not much of a reader, usually it takes me months to finish a book. but this one just hit the spot! it's a really easy read, especially great for holidays, or if you're feeling rubbish and need a chuckle.
the book's heroin, becky bloomwood, uses all the excuses in the book to spend lots of money. many such excuses i recognise. for example: 'i dont smoke, so just imagine all the money ive saved, so can therefore splash out on another 6 pairs of shoes!!'
so to all women who need a good laugh at how we all manage to get ourselves into the most rediculous situations... read this book! it'd make an exellent gift for a girlfriend, or as a treat for yourself.
on 4 October 2003
Sophie Kinsella has created a lovable character in Rebecca Bloomfield. She is basically as the title suggests a shopoholic. hilariously witty and charming this book has everything in it that keeps you giggling well into the night. I read this book in a day, once i picked it up i couldnt put it down. The story itself is based around Beckys shopping addiction and humongous debts she gets into. Not to mention her silly fantasys of a bank mess up!
Excellent read hilarious and light hearted!
on 13 June 2002
I bought this book in the states last year to take on a three week European trip I was taking with a group of fellow college students and I have to say I finished the book within the first two days of the trip it was so good!!!! I just couldn't put it down. I completely enjoyed all the situations she found herself in and I could also completely relate to her shopping addiction. I was laughing so hard that some of my fellow travellers asked what I was reading and when I told them they lined up to read it. I think during the three week trip the book made it around to 5 of the women and then when I got back to the states I managed to convert four more people to the world of a shopaholic. I couldn't wait until the next book was going to be released in the states and I have to say I was not disappointed with that one either. I am eagerly anticipating the lastest escapade as I have pre-ordered the book and have another vacation in which to read it, although I have a feeling I will be trying to find something additional since I tend to read Ms. Kinsella's books so quickly. I can only hope that Shopaholic Ties the Knot will not be the end of what has become one of my favorite all time characters, which after reading Bridget Jones I would have never thought possible but hey miracles do happen. Anyway if you haven't read any of the books I HIGHLY, did I stress that enough, reccommend that you pick one up. You won't be disappointed.
on 14 September 2015
Never read Sophie Kinsellas novels before, but am now on my third. Rebecca Bloomwood lives in a flat in fashionable Fulham, London, that is owned by her best friend Suze's wealthy parents. Becky is a financial journalist for the magazine Successful Savings, but is the first to admit that she doesnt like her job, and doesn't know anything about finance. The nearest she gets to personal finance is the thousands of pounds in debt as is evidenced by a run through of her Visa card bill. This novel is brilliant, it makes you laugh and smile not to mention hold your breath at some stages. The addition of the "letters from the bank" threatening action about debts and overdrafts (which go completely unhindered by Becky) breaks up the storyline and makes amusement even better.