on 1 January 1999
Jeanne Cavelos is without a doubt one of the worst writers that I have ever had the misfortune of reading. I first stumbled across her in a CLASS she happened to be teaching and a piece of her work was REQUIRED reading AND purchase for the class....The general consent about the work was that she had to be on CRACK when she wrote it. Having sampled this 'Science of the X-Files' book I find it to be As poor if not of WORSE quality than the short story titled "Negitive Space" that I was forced to read.
on 8 September 2012
I am not what you would call a massive X-Files geek; I haven't watched all of the television series yet, I haven't watched any of the movies, and I haven't read all of the books. That having been said I have enjoyed the first eight seasons, and some very special episodes.

I purchased The Science of The X-Files, having read Jeanne Cavelos' other outing The Science of Star Wars.

If you enjoy reading about how some of the phenomena in the X-Files Universe might be possible in the light of modern science then this book is for you. If you are a novice/amateur writter like me - looking for ideas, or some science background that comes in a context already formatted to correlate with a fictional world, this is for you. If you live, breath, eat and sleep The X-Files then needless to say this is for you.

Some of the text comes across in an unimaginative and unengaging fashion; where the author attempts to get to her point through a series of seemingly endless bouts of science-stuff illegible to the common simpleton - but these aren't common. In fact, the author often uses examples from everyday like, and her pet iguana, to bring the airy science down to a more understandable level... she doesn't do this all the time, but often enough to bring out the ocassional smile, or even the odd laugh...

I'd definitely recommend.
on 26 January 1999
I couldn't have enjoyed this book more....well, maybe if it had been longer!
One of the most interesting and readable science works to come along in ages, this book is also one of the few books connected with "The X-Files" to actually get *every* reference to The Show correct....something that not even the massive "X-Files X-cyclopedia" managed to do (I wrote so many corrections in the margins of that book that I might as well have re-written it).
I came away from the reading experience of "Science" with an enhanced respect for CC & Co. They're doing a lot better than a lot of philes give them credit for. I also felt that I got insight into the mythology, which, as all philes know, is something to treasure.
I recommend this book not only to phellow philes, but also to anyone who wants to read about the latest scientific developments in genetics, etc. Really an outstanding book. (The only negative review I have ever seen looks like it came from someone who got a bad grade in class.....)
on 15 February 1999
Often in these book reviews if a book is generally rated four or five stars, there are occasional one star ratings. I understand that there is variation between different people, and what may be a masterpiece to one person is crap to another. There are many classics I perceive as crap. The idea I am getting at is: If a person is guaranteed to hate a book, then why do they spend money on it? Why do they read it? Why do they review it for crying out loud? An X-Files book should be read by fans of the X-Files. People who hate the X-Files should stay away from it. Instead of condemning 'To Kill a Mockingbird,' I write a deserved praising of 'The Fountainhead.' Yes, I have been been bitching about something that is unimportant. I don't care. The entire purpose of this review (Though I am not actually reviewing the book.) is to raise the average rating of the book.
on 26 March 1999
In this illuminating book,Jeanne Cavelos carries you far, far beyond the distorted and spacey feelings that some get from actually sitting too-still through the soma-like flow of the "X-Files". The book leaps and vibrates beyond the limits of the screen with a more immediate and gritty intellectual presence. Sometimes I watch the X-files...to relax. This book is much more exciting than I expected because she helps you to believe that many of these bizarre things...can actually happen. I'ts a lot scarier, and vastly more interesting when you are shown that very much of what you thought was science fantasy(or science fiction)--is, more accurately embodied in the single root word...SCIENCE.
on 10 February 1999
I am responding to the HAARP, Alaska "reader". Either the reader has repressed delusions of being a comedian or Stanfords standards for English and Grammar have significantly dropped. The latter may explain why he "couldn't get passed page 44". The only "brightside" to his review was the fact that his seven year old son watches the X-Files, this proves that stupidity is not an inherent trait. I do feel for the state of Alaska, somewhere there is a village missing their idiot. I found the book both interesting and informative. I would recommend it to any avid fan of the X-Files or anyone with an inquisitive mind interested in biology and genetics.
on 7 February 1999
My 7 year old who enjoys the tv show ocassionally and most sci-fi brought thebook home and I tried, really tried to get to page 50 before saying it was ridiculous but 44 was as far as I got...I am a math teacher and science/biology major (Stanford) and love a good sci-fi and find the (true) investigation of UFOs exciting and interesting but the book was nothing buta chance to make a buck off chumps who think the gobermint is out to get us types or the really gullible people who couldn't determine truth and science from bunk even as it dropped a bomb on them (triangle ufo-aurora). Its dorks like Ms. C that ruin it for the real investigators.....Doc. Marten.
on 15 October 1998
Although I'm fascinated by science topics, I'm not well educated in those areas. So, Cavelos's book is wonderful for people like me. Her explanations of science phenomena are easy to understand, especially if you're an X-Files fan and are familiar with the episodes she refers to. The "further reading" at the back of the book is a welcome addition that more introductory non-fiction books should employ.
Why 4 stars instead of 5? I wanted more. It IS a great introduction, but I wish she had gotten more in depth in the topics brought up as the book progressed instead of just skimming a different topic in each chapter. A sequel maybe?
on 7 February 1999
This book is a must-have for any X-phile, who likes science. The author, Jeanne Cavelos, makes these very intriuging science questions easy to understand. However, since it is the X-Files we're talking about, some of the issues are very controversial. For example, one chapter is only on aliens! It's hard to make something factual, out of something that doesn't have that many facts.
But other then that, the book is very good, and, from an X-phile's point of view, answers questions to the show.
Also, to fully understand this book, you probably need to know somethings in biology and the X-Files before you buy this book.
on 1 March 1999
This was an interesting read, and yes, I'm a fan of the show, but really this book is aimed at those fan-boy types who have every other piece of X-Files memorobilia and need some more. The author does an excellent job of applying ground-breaking scientific research to the scenarios which are present in the shows, however, I, at times found myself saying "Who cares that much?!?!" Also, the book makes no mention of all of the episodes and phenomena for which there is no scientific explanation, theory, or even a guess.
All in all, it's an interesting read, but I think she's carried the X-Files a bit too far.