on 24 March 2016
The story is completed,the arc finished.As this is a whole £6 more in a well known bookstore,let's call it "Moisture rocks",buying from Amazon is one of those decisions that should be quite easy.To all followers of this,one of the great fantasy story lines,it's a must have,presumably the very last words on the character,and the capstone on a classic work of literature.Yes,I used the "L" word,for that is what it is,and "comic" greatness goes no way to do it justice.Along with a very select few others,Gaiman helped to remake the pictorial form into something far more serious.A pity the legions of Harry Potter reading adults don't expand their horizons to encompass the works of Gaiman,and especially Alan Moore,redefining the form for a far more savvy audience.Be generous,buy a copy for someone else when you purchase your own,get them hooked on something mind expanding you don't need to smoke or inject!
on 25 August 2016
It's a long time since I bought Sandman, and my tastes have changed. So I bought Overture, read the first few panels, and ... put it down. Today, I read it all in one go, and the best of all news is: it's brilliant.

It's Sandman squared. The sheer depth of colour and complexity in the artwork is beyond anything I've ever seen in comics: it's like the high-art, near-photographic covers you see on collected editions... on every page. It's overwhelming, something to fall into and thrash around in rather than read. Unlike most comics, it can take minutes to absorb single pages. It's that deep, and that good.

But enough of the art; let's just say it's staggering. The story? Thankfully, that works too. So many assumptions tied up, so many points made. The reasons for attitudes and relationships in the original works (this is a prequel) are explained. I no longer get the thrill I once had from rereading the main story arc, but once I started this, the old magic came back.

Thrilling and worthwhile. It's better if you've read the series already. Buy it last, as a fitting epilogue to one of the great pieces of comics literature.
on 22 August 2016
I had to read this twice to really get what Gaiman had done. Perhaps I was distracted by the astonishing JHW3 artwork, in which the maestro takes it further than he's ever been before (and that's pretty far), but I just didn't appreciate the book in total 'til I'd read it again. Very, very,very good work. Something to pore over, thoroughly, again and again and again and again. (And again.)
on 8 January 2016
Would not recommend unless you have read other volumes of The Sandman - if you have this is a must buy. A prequel basically, detailing how Dream came to be captured in the first issues of The Sandman. The writing, as you would expect with Gaiman, is superb, but the art is something else. I don't want to go into too much details to avoid spoiling it, but how some of the concepts are achieved by the art is just sublime. A must buy for a Sandman fan.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 15 June 2016
I am a massive Sandman fan and have been for years. I was incredibly happy to get my hands on this hardcover to add to my other hardbound Sandman collectibles. It really is a beautiful piece of work and diving into the material was like a walk down memory lane. I know that it would be entirely possible to Gaiman to churn out this stuff forever but I'm glad it is usually revisited with care. The artwork is simply stunning and it was brilliant submerging myself into the world of Sandman one more time.
on 13 January 2017
I love the book, huge fan of Neil Gaiman, but what I don't love is that I can't read the kindle version on my pc.

I repeatedly get "this item is not compatible with this device" when trying to download it.

I've tried to contact amazon whom have done nada/zilch.

So my advice is don't bother with this on Kindle until they've sorted their act out. (the other 9 kindle books are ok).
on 27 April 2016
The story that simply had to be told. Best kept for the end of the series though, I wouldn't start with Overture even though that's now the chronological order. It will have so much more power when read at the end of the series. Great story telling from Neil and STUNNING layout and art - really take the time appreciate the way the pages have been constructed. Brilliant.
on 3 January 2016
Very good return to the Sandman universe....although reading it on my ipad mini kindle app was a major pain in the butt. The page orientation kept changing and it's possible that this was intended, I didn't have a hardcopy to hand to compare to and also if indeed a technical difficulty then this is not caused by Mr Gaiman himself so surely shouldn't influence my vote here.
on 21 January 2016
It's the sandman, back again after all these years. What's not to love?

Seriously though, I was concerned that Gaiman might just phone this one in. He's had a lot of success in the years since the original Sandman series, and this would have sold in volume regardless of quality. My concerns disappeared as soon as I started reading though.
on 18 June 2017
This book is a thing of beauty. I've read it a few times now, and still find something new with each read. JH Williams lll art is breathtaking and fits well with Neil Gaiman's amazing writing. Neil Gaiman along with Alan Moore have pushed the boundaries of what is possible in graphic novels.... Gaiman has improved with time, whilst sadly, Alan Moore hasn't.