Customer reviews

The Sandbaggers: The Complete Series [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 2 July 2013
Despite the age of this series I still awarded it 5-stars.
I patiently only watched one story per day although I anxiously wanted to proceed to the next as quickly as possible, such was its attraction.

I did not see the Sandbaggers when it first appeared in 1979 and 1980. I only heard about it when it was re-mastered in 2013.
I am most grateful to those people who reviewed the series for Amazon. Without their reviewing skills I would have missed this masterpiece. Each reviewer added something useful. I concur with their analyses. There are no negative reviewer comments.

I do not know much about the internal workings of SIS but I have read (and written about) extensively on this and similar
organisations for over 50 years. The Case Officer system was (and probably still is) a tightly controlled unit. Which leads to my only quibble. Namely, that despite perennial restraints on Intelligence (and media) budgets, there were too few "special operatives". Two sandbaggers were employed simply to make the stories easier to activate. Extra sandbaggers could have existed - with any of them being out of the country at any time (for example like the 001-006 Ian Fleming characters). A minor, probably irrelevant, point.
We are constantly reminded that History repeats itself. One of the great re-assurances for the 2013 viewer of this series is that the old adage is proven. So much (of human relationships) repeats. The series also re-assures us that some things do change for the better. Today smoking is out. Today women are in senior positions. Mobile phones give us instant communication. Computers give us instant information.

My final comment is to repeat a comment of any earlier reviewer because it is worth repeating: "One wonders why this television series has not left a deeper imprint on the public imagination". But perhaps it has been influential in the corridors of power.

I agree with the New York Times reviewer of the 1980s: "The best spy series in TV history."
Sometimes it does us a world of good to revisit the past. But not too often, hey!
on 12 November 2014
I am a big fan of Spooks, and this is Spooks only in the 1970s. The acting from Roy Marsden is top of the drawer stuff.
This is high class intelligent British drama. I have bought some box sets off Amazon for the nostalgia, and thought oh not as good as I remember them. But in this case it is as good if not even better than I remember it being. You do seriously need to consider buying this, sooner rather than later.
on 16 August 2014
This is a fantastic show. The emphasis is very much on intelligent dialogue and character; don't expect too many whiz bang scenes. That said, the quality of the action scenes gets higher and higher as the episodes go on - perhaps they increased the budget? - and at times The Sandbaggers genuinely shocks. Well worth buying if you're into spy stuff.
on 5 June 2014
I just have to admire this old tv series, which we ordered recently. It is so much better than the tv series that they play nowadays on tv. Nowadays its all about making horrible scenes and having that 10 prosent sex scenes in the series when with this series every episode is a nice piece of work, which is not so calculated as in todays series.

So buy this if you want intelligent storylines and honest directing.
on 31 October 2015
Very much of its time, in terms of quality. Evidently produced on a tight budget but still streets ahead of what is on offer today. If you are able to make a few allowances and get into it, this is an excellent series and very well worth the money
on 3 December 2016
One of those series you could watch till the end of time. Great dialogue and interaction and utterly believable. Of course you're drawn to Roy marsdens simmering Burnside but in truth I loved them all . What a tragedy for a multitude of reasons creator and writer Ian mackintoshs disappearance was .
on 22 January 2015
A brilliant series about the secret intelligence service, there work and how they are portrayed - the writers of Spooks should have watched this before producing that dreadful series about the security service.
on 3 July 2015
Brilliant. Outstanding acting and realistic plots. Very Cold War and of a different flavour from the likes of Callan. Tells not only of the front line but of the political intrigues and personalities behind it all, a serious and utterly believable version of "Yes, Minister". Don't understand people who complain about sound (turn it up) or other qualities because it is a piece of its time, which only adds to the atmosphere. Enjoy....
on 19 April 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed this set. Never previously heard of it. Acting was superb from start to finish. It would give Alec Guinness and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy a run for its money. The theme music is good as well.
on 16 January 2014
I watched this series back in the 70s but all I can remember is being impressed, at that time, with the stories and with the character played by Roy Marsden. Well it is a huge pleasure to watch all over again. The stories are intelligent and credible and the political machinations are very well portrayed. If you liked Spooks you would probably love this.