Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 7 July 2016
I am not really a reader, but I loved this novel. I was hooked from the first couple of pages.
on 13 August 2014
Set at the start of the Meiji period of Japan when the samurai were being disbanded and forced to give up their swords, Hiro goes to Hokkaido to start a new life. He meets Hanako a farmer whose husband has been killed by ronins.
The description of rural Japan and the life in these difficult times is moving. A whole different culture for Hiro too who has to learn to live off the land.
on 30 August 2014
A simple and quick read with lots of emotion and vibrancy in the storyline, you just want to keep on reading. I'd recommend this book to anyone who likes happy endings and simple love stories. There is intrigue, excitement as the story takes you on a journey and at every turn you wonder what is going to happen next. A feel good book.
on 1 January 2014
I found this to be interesting in that it's subject matter was different to the norm. It was an easy to read romance, without being trashy
on 24 February 2014
I like books set in Japan and have read quite a lot of them. This one touches on traditional Japanese culture but the storyline is predictable and quite unexciting in my opinion.
on 4 September 2014
I enjoyed reading this story about a former samurai warrior who falls in love with a farmer's poor widow in japan in the 1870s. Despite the differences in their social stature they share a special bond. The story is quite simply written with, regrettably, a few americanisms thrown in but it is very engaging and you come to care quite quickly about what will become of the couple and the other characters. It is not a great literary work but it is a lovely story, quite well told and I will certainly read more of the author's work. Really nothing bad to say about it.
on 22 January 2017
I got totally fooled by the other reviews. This is a very uninteresting, trivial and predictible story! This is for teen-agers. Maybe the people who reviewed it are indeed teen-agers, that could explain... What a waste of time and money!
on 28 May 2016
I enjoyed the insight into the fate of women in Japan marrying for love in the nineteenth century. The story pulled me along and I was sad when it ended.
on 13 January 2014
My fave book of all time is The Last Concubine so I am always looking for similar books. This was a good read, slightly predictable but I enjoyed it.
on 1 September 2013
this was a gentle but interesting story about a part of the world I had little knowledge .
A good read