Customer reviews

The Royle Family: The Complete First Series [DVD] [1998]
Format: DVD|Change

on 23 January 2015
I was at Uni and really really home sick I was 536 miles from home never had been away from home before I could not sleep /eat and study during lessons I would just be looking to the left of the study room and looking outside the window.

On my way back to my room I noticed a jiffy bag outside my room I took it into my room with me and opened it and it was from my sister and she had written the following in a letter :

Hey hope you are ok after talking to you the other day on the phone I thought this DVD might help

After the first 30 mins the feeling of being home sick had gone and I went and made a huge and I am talking huge plate of oven chips and watched the
whole series with a nice pot of tea and I got back into my studies thanks to the great minds of the writers of this show god bless them it helped 100%.

The scene at the dinner table where Denise talks about Sandras Hair cutting business and Barbra asks how much she charges and Denise says 22 quid and Barbra says oh thats a dear do I nearly choked on my chips and tea as my Mum says the same thing (no veg sorry mum) and Nanna putting her empty chocolate bar wrapper in her handbag my Gran does the same thing plus the sound that the livingroom door makes when its opening its like someone has put CCTV in my parents house and copied it for this series.

The friction between Anthony and Denise was like what me & my sister had for a while while we were in our teens.
Ok these people dont have fancy cars or wear fancy clothes or talk in a certain way but they are good loyal people to the each other and
their friends.

Its just a shame the series when down hill after the first series but this series really helped me in such a huge way I now have a good job and
a nice place to live (well I think so anyway) thanks to the writers of the show and my sister for sending this to me.
on 5 December 2010
Back in the year 1998, a comedy TV show by the name of The Royle Family hit our tv screens, to where I have become a huge fan of it since seeing the very first episode.

The show itself has a great amount of loveable characters, who are played by top flight actors e.g.
1. Ricky Tomlinson - Jim Royle
2. Sue Johnston - Barbara Royle
3. Caroline Aherne - Denise Royle
4. Craig Cash - Dave Best
5. Ralf Little - Anthony Royle etc

This series shows us what life would be like when having the whole family round, who seem to do nothing else but watch the TV and crack out some jokes and stories.

Any1 who has not seen the Royle Family, must see it as you will not be disappointed.
on 28 August 2003
I have not seen a comedy series this well cast and this well performed in a long time. Every single one of the actors portrays develops their character brilliantly ,each with different quirks and different personalities. Jim's one liners are wickedly funny and Dave's look of absolute dumbness is fantastic. You'll find yourself chuckling and for once we have a comedy not dubbed with fake laughter in the background.
The humour is honest and biting, coming very close to truth at times. You are drawn into the living room of this dysfunctional
family and can associate with their arguements and commentaries.
I thought that the scene in the second episode where Barbara looks on amazed at her daughter when she tells her that she will not be having chips for tea every single day just about sums up the family.
A brilliant piece of comedy that everyone should own.
8 people found this helpful
on 5 June 2018
Good dvd
on 27 September 2017
great
on 18 August 2014
Bought for a foreign friend to demonstrate NW England vernacualr English and idiom. Perfect for the purpose, though I think she was a bit shocked, depsite being a Liverpool supporter.
on 30 July 2013
got video on time.but quality very poor.keeps on flashing.
my son not very happy with it.will have to look for another one
on 19 January 2014
Love watching all episodes again and again, you can never tire of the Royles. I especially love the Christmas episodes.
on 8 October 2016
The whole series is fantastic - so funny and true to life
on 13 June 2016