on 16 October 2017
Amazing look at how Bill Gates thinks and more remarkably a prediction of what is to come. Written back in the early 1990's it is clear that Gates had an formidable insight into the direction the world would take. While not everything he writes has come to fuition, it is amazing how uch has. The ideas around the internet make you wonder why Microsfot did not rule the internet but let in Google, Apple (reinvented) etc right under their noses.
But in many ways that is even more mind blowing; that even with this insight it is not ebough in the real world of business. Microsoft is a huge oil tanker and even with their R&D they were not able to lead on the internet. The startups were gifted the opportunity instead.
on 23 June 2015
I make a habbit of buying old tech-related books, partly because of the price, but also because of the interesting historical content. Unfortunately I found this one is very difficult to read, in part by Bill's chosen method of formatting and layout of text (it's very dense), but also because of the content.

The Road Ahead is largely about what he has experienced and what the world might look like from his perspective in the 90s. Some of it came true, although from his company, and while that may be interesting to some (at times to me), it does seem to be a 'thing of the times'. He explains how a video maybe broadcasted over the 'super highway' (the expression alone dates its content!) in immense detail such that I struggle to read through his explanation.

I didn't enjoy it, but you might if you crave that sort of thing.
on 23 March 2013
Well worth a read for anyone who is interested in the possible future of technology and how it will be used. Great value too.
on 26 August 2017
Excellent book, simply brilliant!
on 19 February 2015
great product
on 28 December 2012
I read Hard Drive in the past and wanted to read it again but ordered this in error. However it is great and interesting to read this from Bill Gates own perspective. Have also now ordered Hard Drive to read again.
on 26 November 2011
A nice little read which gives insight into Gates and his early work which is both inspiring and amazing. Would 100% recommend
on 3 November 2010
I ordered this book from an Amazon seller for £1.29 used with free delivery. I have to say. The book came within a few days and was in good condition.
So Gates' 1995 'predictions' at the moment seem pretty accurate. I'm only a chapter in and he's already mentioned applications' which will act as tools to help us in our everyday lives. An example of this could be Iphone of Blackberry apps.
But I really like the balance between biographical elements and the message he is trying to convey. Certainly 'the information highway' he describes is much like today's internet. Although some ideas seem strange, others are perfectly accurate.
I'd recommend this book to anyone who is interested in the future of technology. As other sellers have said, if you're looking for a biography, you won't get it, but something so much more inspiring and uplifting. It feels great to be reading the words (and thoughts) of the second richest man alive and I defy all people to read this, because, as Bill says, the future of technology, and technological advances will affect all of us.
on 6 October 2013
A little bit of misunderstanding on the delivery charges that I had to top up further.
A little off-putting but alas the product arrived on time though a little bit torn on the edges.
on 27 June 2007
I had assumed this was the full book - it's only the Pre-Intermediate level book and so this was only 48 pages long. It's an extremely short version; this was my own fault for not checking but I thought I should just give you a heads-up.