on 1 April 2017
A lovely written book about life around the Halcyon River.Would recommend.
VINE VOICEon 3 June 2010
I bought this after watching a couple of episodes of the currently running Halcyon River Diaries on television, as I thought it would be interesting to find out a bit more about how they'd come to end up living by the river.

It is mainly a tale of them trying to persuade and then make a documentary about the otters they discover living in the river that runs past their house and it is a lovely, gently flowing story of their trials and tribulations. I would have found a little more detail about Philippa and her family interesting, but then it isn't really billed as an autobiography I suppose.

A really sweet story, well written, funny in parts and sad in others portraying an idyllic sounding life. Lovely.
on 10 May 2013
This book is a delight from start to finish. It tells the tale of a wildlife cameraman and his wife Phillipa, a TV presenter. They take the brave decision to move from London to the country beside a river which Charlie, the husband has often aspired to settle. Its written with warmth, humour, honesty and none of the trappings of a minor celebrity status you would at first imagine. They settle in, have their first child and realise they have otters in the river. Deciding to approach the BBC to sponsor a TV short film on these wonderful creatures is not the easy ride they thought it might be and their journey to accomplish this is riddled with obstacles and pitfalls. I so enjoyed reading this being a wildlife enthusiast and I laughed and cried with them on this exciting journey. Full of interesting facts and stories of their time with the otters, kingfishers, wacky ducks to name but a few, if you have a love of all creatures great and small you can't fail to fall in love with this, just fabulous!
on 21 February 2011
I watched the Halcyon river diaries with much envy, what a great place to live and brilliant for kids. I was curious about the book and it's beginnings, if wildlife is not your thing I doubt you would be interested, but as I think Charlie's photography and filming is both artful and stunning I connected with this book, it's funny in parts and a good read, I enjoyed it. Halcyon River Diaries - Series 1 [DVD]
on 29 June 2014
Not the type of book I would usually read but I found it hard to put down once started and read it in 3 days. Very readable and interesting even if wildlife on rivers isn't something that usually interests you.
on 20 October 2013
There are very few books which, with the programmes they accompany, really bring a story of nature together in a way which will encourage people to go out &watch animals & birds for themselves
on 19 July 2011
The love truly oozes in every page for the love of nature and the Forrester. This book very well written transporting as on a magic carpet to the House by the river. The trials and tribulations of makign a documentary and all the people and animals involved is truly magical. Leaving me gasping at those moments when the river flooded, when filming the otters and spotting and filing the kingfishers. At least someone is lving my dream and thank you Phillippa for making this dream so vivid with your beautiful style and wit.

It is beautifully written and one easily gets lost into the beauty of the river, its wildlife and Phillippa's families and her very talented husband
on 13 August 2010
I purchased this book after watching the recent Halcyon River Diaries series as I wanted to know more. A lovely book, makes you feel like you are there, wish I could be, I couldn't put it down. Can't wait to read the other related books.
on 20 May 2010
It's really about the making of a TV programme. Which is fine, I suppose, if you like that sort of thing, and it is a TV programme about animals for the BBC, who tend to have high standards for those.

I think I prefer Gerald Durrell's "My family and other animals", or maybe "A zoo in my suitcase". Which is not a bad thing, really, because those are very good.

A warning to readers across the pond, the lady does at least sarcasm, possibly irony, this may be difficult for you.