on 7 March 2001
Deals with almost everything a writer will probably have to face from self doubt to blocks through to 'will I ever get published'. Cameron is a very wise and inspirational woman who can call upon many years of successful writing and teaching experience. A wonderful book to have by your side as your embark on your writing projects.
on 4 February 2001
This book arrived at Friday lunch time. By Saturday afternoon with 8 chapters to go I had to leave the book unfinished and get down to writing. Such was it's power. Now, a week on, I have filled a pad of A4 with poems, anecdotes, stories and articles.
Julia's advice is just right. Forget about wanting to publish, finding a market, or being a "Great Writer" and get down to putting black scrawl on blank pages. I've taken her advice and got on with writing 3 pages of stream of consciousness A4 longhand every morning. I've found it has helped me find a "voice" in a way I never have before inspite of coming to writing again and again over the years.
Julia Cameron is funny, likeable, and readable. Her book is an exploration of her own methods of working and short, practical exercises to limber up the writing muscles. I enjoyed reading about her life every bit as much about her ideas on how to write.
A good, easy read that opens up endless possibilities. Thank you Julia.
on 27 August 2013
I absolutely love this book and the free and flowing way in which it is written!

Julia's gentle encouragement inspires your inner writer to leap from it's box and start creating - no matter what, when or where you write, just begin writing and let the creativity flow!

Although I was unsure about completing some of the activities at first, once I started doing them I felt so motivated to keep writing! This has definitely sparked my imagination and has fired me up to write in a free and unconstrained way! I just love it!
on 24 August 2016
A very inspiring book full of practical exercises. I'm happy I bought it. (Please don't consider this example of writing as proof that you, too, should purchase it - it's simply quite late ;)
on 30 March 1999
I have read magazines and journals on the writing life but never anything quite like this. This was an amazing find I simply happened on after listening to Julia speak on PBS. The book was so informative, so stress reducing. If you aren't a writer reading this books makes you want to do just that. If you are a writer, I could see where many of the chapters would greatly assist one to ride the ebb and flow that goes with coming up with the good story.
There is something in this little book for anyone willing to take pen to page. She is some great creativity tips. None of her ideas get in the way of anyone deciding what or how to write. The book is more of a prompt, a lubricant. I am reading the elements without focusing on the exercises at the end but I am glad they are there. This feels like a two read book. One to set the mood, get the process going and when ready, I'll tackle those little chapter endings.
on 14 May 1999
to by-pass the angst and just write, for its own sake. Invaluable ways to bring out, listen and use the richness of life, its wonders, its horrors, and myself, my aspirations, my terrors and put them on the page. The core point (for me) of the book: writing is not a big deal, it's something that's fun, or more, to do. Julia's voice is so clear, so straight, so fluid. Well worth reading as a guide to living, for the value it places on making a commitment to anything that you truely care about and standing up for it. Wonderfully affirming of the writing life.
on 14 November 1998
"The Right to Write" is an essential tool for all writers, even, or perhaps especially, for those who do not yet realize they are writers.

Throughout this very readable book Ms. Cameron encourages us not only to write but to live the life of a writer. The fundamental concept of the work is quite simple: 'show up at the page'. Just the act of writing allows us to tap into our own creativity which will result in a charge of energy with which to write, sculpt, paint or merely live.

Those of us who put words to paper but are too humble to take on the mantle of Writer can find solice in this book. This is not a manual of writing, style or grammar. In fact, early in the book the author encourages us to 'write badly': to ignore the voice of our high school grammarians and to allow our words to flow to the page. There will be time later, she tells us, to bother with the mechanics. We will never get to that point unless we learn to start the journey and to live the life of a writer daily.

Strictly speaking, this may not even be a book about 'creativity'. "The Right to Write" teaches us about living a life conducive to writing and nurturing the artist in us all.

NOTE: As webmaster for the Artist's Way mail list I received an advance copy of the book from the editor. I strongly encourage all fans of Ms. Cameron, writers and anyone interested in living life more creatively to get this book! Dave Butler
on 2 September 2005
The Right to Write has had a dramatic effect on me as a person and a writer. To call it inspirational, as I have done above, is really an understatement. It reaffirms writing as a totally natural human endeavour which is something we forget when we allow ourselves to be bogged down with thoughts about what we 'should' be writing, or the purpose of writing, or what other people think we should be writing, or the outcome of writing (ie publication).
Julia Cameron reminds us that the process is as important as the product. Writing thus becomes a joyful experience rather than a painful or tortured one. For the author, writing is an intrinsic way of of exploring life and what we think and believe. It is a way of digesting our world and of releasing ourselves, of thinking more widely and freely. By the end of the book you will most definitely feel liberated from all your preconceptions and writers block.
For Cameron, letting go of the inner critic and getting into the habit of writing daily, without constantly checking and editing, is a goal we should aim for. It is ingrained in us to censor ourselves, to either find excuses for not starting in the first place, or for over-editing. This manual teaches you how to overcome your fears about facing the blank page. The book is a great self-esteem builder and is like a friend giving you some honest but feelgood advice. In my opinion writing is not simply therapy - it is much more than that. I am afraid that I am incorrigably atheistic, but even I feel that writing can have a deep spiritual dimension.
This is a book about creativity. It is not for those who want to learn the techniques of characterisation, plot, setting, theme etc. It is not in any way like the 'How to Write....' series that abound. It can be used by writers, artists, musicians, almost anybody who has an interest in creativity.
Curiously at the same time as being philosophical it is also of immense practical use. It is organised into short 'essays' on themes and is full of illuminating personal anecdotes and moral stories, without being in any way didactic. Following each essay is an exercise, called an 'initiation tool'. These get you started in a gentle way. For example
- writing a letter from the point of view of your older self to your younger self, giving advice
- making up your own outrageous tabloid story and writing it up
- starting the habit of 3 'Morning Pages' every day
- writing for an hour about your Ideal Life
- writing a list of 100 things that make you happy
It is surprising how these sort of exercises prompt you to enjoy writing for its own sake.
I finish by assuring you that this book with expand you, delight you and teach you. Make sure you buy it.
on 20 November 1998
Those of us who put words to paper but are too humble to take on the mantle of Writer can find solace in this book. This is not a manual of writing, style or grammar. In fact, early in the book the author encourages us to 'write badly': to ignore the voice of our high school grammarians and to allow our words to flow to the page. There will be time later, she tells us, to bother with the mechanics. We will never get to that point unless we learn to start the journey and to live the life of a writer daily.
Strictly speaking, this may not even be a book about creativity or writing. "The Right to Write" teaches us about living a life conducive to writing and nurturing the artist in us all.
on 7 June 2009
This is the one book that successfuly re-kindled my passion for writing. Julia Cameron's advice is simple, yet effective . . . writing is a gift and the writing life is self-empowered and self-empowering. In her words: "We should write because it's human nature to write."

The book is packed full of initiation tools that gently ease you into the world of writing. Before long you'll be amazed at how effortlessly one can navigate around the so-called writer's block and just allow yourself to be aware of, listen to and respect your own unique inner voice.

The book is like a journey to a familiar land that you once visitied when you were younger. It is inspiring, motivating and truly uplifting.

Overall a very good read but it's true value can only be realised by putting the suggestions into practice - have fun!