on 1 January 2013
Not the normal overly sentimental read, and there were some touching bits, i too went down the ivf route so could understand some of the characters point of view. It was quite predictable and kept jumping all over the place, also had a very sudden ending which was disappointing.
on 26 July 2013
While sympathising with the characters in this story who, for various reasons, wanted to adopt a child from China, I felt that the moral, cultural and practical issues were not really questioned or addressed. The 'happy' ending came too quickly and was too neat. It seemed more wishful thinking than reality. I chose to read this story as I had enjoyed Ann Hood's 'The Knitting Circle' but I was disappointed with this yarn.
on 11 July 2016
This was chosen by a member of my book group. The storyline is poor , the characters implausible and the title was definitely not threaded or woven into the story. I read about 60% and then gave up. I wouldn't even recommend it for a light holiday read.
on 19 September 2015
I actually bought this book by mistake - should have bought another of the same name but by a different author. However, I did enjoy this easy, poignant read. The author describes so well the angst of those unable to have children of their own and probably more so the trauma of being a Chinese mother giving up a daughter.
on 14 July 2012
I have read the knitting circle and was drawn into the stories of the various women's lives. This story is about couples wanting to adopt baby girls from China. It was eminently readable but sad at the same time. How can leaders dictate that only one girl can be born into a family and the rest must be cast out? I would not ever be without my two daughters!
on 6 December 2011
This book was very easy reading though a bit 'uncomfortable' at times. It makes you realise how lucky we are to be living in this country. Was very pleased with speed of delivery and condition of book.
on 6 October 2012
Another excellent novel that draws you in and makes you read until the end.This lady creates such empathy with the characters that you feel you know them.A heartbreaking but uplifting story
on 13 November 2012
I really enjoyed this book although it does jump about a bit. Gives an insight into how couples would feel about adoption
on 12 January 2014
An ok read. An interesting topic but it was a tad predictable and all over the place. 'The Knitting Circle' was a much more interesting book.
What a lovely book, I couldn't put it down. I love the way Ann Hood writes, her book The Knitting Circle is also highly recommended.r